Electronic Energy Meters

Just arrived, via the slowest available boat…
Now if only there weren’t so many serious things in the queue ahead of this frolic.

2 Likes

FWIW, I wound up getting two of these:

I added a Spark Photon into each of them. On the first one I tapped onto the SPI interface from the processor to the LCD driver IC to get all the info on the LCD. This also acts as a web server so I can view the info from my computers browser. This also sends that info to the second unit. On the second unit I cut the SPI lines from the processor to the LCD driver, and the Photon drives the display, so now I have a remote table top version as well.

2 Likes

Very cool, I’ve been looking for a easy way to monitor power but I’ve spent way too much time trying to filter the noise out. The serial protocol looks pretty straight forward but @ VersaModule can you describe how you cut the SPI to the LCD and put in you’re own information. Thanks

On my unit the lcd driver is a Holtek HT1621. I looked up the data sheet for it so that I would know the pinout and to understand the data they are sending to it. On the first unit I paralleled the SPI lines to my Photon so I could capture what their micro was sending to the LCD. On the second unit, I just cut the SPI foil traces and connected the Photons SPI lines to them. The wireless data I received from the first unit, I just send that data to the LCD.

3 Likes

The PZEM module gives a very stable reading. I had an old Arduino based design in the past but it was noisy as the sampling was too slow. This new unit is really good and stable. I can actually see 1W devices switch on when I measure an extension cable.

1 Like