Eagle Part for IDC (Samtec 10pin Gadgeteer) Connectors

Trying Eagle for the first time. Or, perhaps, Eagle is trying me. Why is it the industry standard software is always such a UX mess? ( http://10rem.net/blog/2012/01/26/the-n00b-filter-bad-ux-at-its-finest-in-eagle-pcb ). Anyway.

I was trying to use the Samtec SHF-105-01-L-D-SM part (the 10 pin gadgeteer surface mount connector) eagle part from the Samtec site, but

1. It doesn’t show up in schematic view and
  2. If I add it in board view, I get “Can’t backannotate this operation. Please do this in the schematic!” (I love software that yells at me when it can’t figure something out)

What are you all using for a part? Looks like most/all of you are using Eagle, and I see the part in your pictures.

Can you share it? I didn’t find it in the forums, wiki etc. I can probably pull one off the Eagle design for the Hydra (GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software ) , but thought I’d check for a proper lib first.

Pete

The general work flow with Eagle, and most other PCB software, is that you first draw the schematic and then you layout the board. This way the board editor will know what pins on each device connector to which pins on other devices. Once you lay the schematic switch to the board view and you will find that the parts will all be setting to the side of the board with all the connections made by ‘air’ wires. You can then drag and place the components as you wish and ‘rout’ the board (replace the air wire with a copper trace.)

@ Jeff

I know. However, the Samtec part doesn’t appear to have a schematic-compatible fork or whatever it is inside that file. It simply doesn’t show up in PCB view, not even in the list of libraries. It shows up in board view only.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Pete

@ Pete - had the same problem. I ended up extracting a library from GHI’s eagle file for one of the modules, which included the SM version with schematic symbol.

@ Pete

I did the same thing as @ ransomhall, but if you want, shoot me an email and I can send you the right part (assuming I can figure out how to extract it from my module files).

Pete check your e-mail. I have send you my library.

@ Architect

Got it. Thanks!

My pleasure. ;D

Can you guys post the Samtec part somewhere? It would be nice if the Hydra Eagle files contained the actual Eagle project files along with the part libraries.

Architect, could you send me too?

Ok, everybody can get it from here: