Driver issue with StartCDC_WithDebugging

I installed the latest FEZ firmware/SDK/etc, including flashing the device. I created a new project and executed StartCDC_WithDebugging(). Since running the project, however, Windows shows me it has found a new device called “USBizi” which it cannot find the drivers for.

I have all the USB drivers installed (using the installer), and I tried manually selecting all the drivers available to no avail. They all say “The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.”

Each time the device boots it shows this, so I can no longer access the device via USB at all.

Any ideas?

Also, I disconnected/reconnected the device and got a “CDC_VCOM” device, but when I tried to use the recommended driver from the USBC_CDC manual page, it gave me the same error.

The two devices that are now present (which no drivers work for) are:

CDC VCOM, vendor 1B9F product F003
USBizi, vendor 1B9F, product F003

Stumble into the same problems here :’(

Yeah, something’s hosed. Even booting into the bootloader, the COM port that previously worked no longer works. Fortunately I have another Panda and a Cobra to play with, but this one is currently useless :slight_smile:

First you had to uninstall the old GHI SDK completely.

I tried the same thing and had the same issue, but after everything was all done, I had to manually go into the device manager and update the driver to the new GHI SDK folder before my computer would recognize it correctly (Windows 7 - 64-bit).

I also had to unplug from a USB host, right into the computer and everything worked fine.

I think my USB hub was not letting it read correctly. It might have not been the manual driver installation that fixed it, but this was the process I used in order for it to work.

Updated 2 pandas.

Mike in MN

PS, after updating Firmware, plugged back into my USB Hub, and works good.

[quote]rst you had to uninstall the old GHI SDK completely.

I tried the same thing and had the same issue, but after everything was all done, I had to manually go into the device manager and update the driver to the new GHI SDK folder before my computer would recognize it correctly (Windows 7 - 64-bit).

I also had to unplug from a USB host, right into the computer and everything worked fine.

I think my USB hub was not letting it read correctly. It might have not been the manual driver installation that fixed it, but this was the process I used in order for it to work.

Updated 2 pandas.

Mike in MN

PS, after updating Firmware, plugged back into my USB Hub, and works good.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips, but…

I did completely uninstall the old SDK and install the new one. I updated the firmware to what was included in the new SDK, verified the version and even made some stick-on labels so I could keep track of which boards I have upgraded the firmware on :slight_smile: Everything was fine. I had to remove my old references and re-add them so it would pick up the new versions.

I was able to run my old project just fine. The moment StartCDC_WithDebugging() was called is when the problems started. I unplugged the board several times, and I am not using a hub.

Maybe we forgot to add the drivers to the SDK?! I just looked in the GHI SDK folder and I am not finding the drivers :frowning:

Let me check further and get back to you on this

I should have read closer, it’s not a firmware issue, it’s a deployment/debug issue, I bad.

Yeah, I just loaded the “loader” driver manually.

Sorry.

Mike in MN

This is the driver I used for testing. I am not sure if this will work and this is NOT the official and signed driver. If you want to try you can use this for now but you SHOULD USE the official and signed one instead. ONLY use this for testing if you like for now but I rather you wait till we figure out why the official and signed driver is not in the SDK!

EDIT: removed the link. See the rest of the thread for details

I think you guys missed it or you are viewing old Internet browser cache.
On the same page where it has the CDC driver (USBC_CDC documentation), there is a section at the bottom where it explains CDC + debug and there is a separate driver for them.

Rajesh alraedy has it :slight_smile:
http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/9/1321

[url]http://ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Library%20Documentation/html/93fcfa03-228b-cbe4-e8a5-9a7a8f36cdf0.htm[/url]

This is where I found it.

[url]http://ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Library%20Documentation/Index.html[/url]

Click on “GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBClient Namespace”

Mike in MN

OK, found and install the CDC drivers. Now everything works fine. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

Same here. The linked drivers worked fine… now my test project (controls a LCD and reads input voltage via ADC and displays on the LCD) outputs via serial as well :slight_smile:

Thanks guys!

I think GHI needs to add a addendum to the release notes that explain where to get the required drivers. Looks like a lot of people are having trouble with this great new feature.

-Eric

I have a annoying problem with the StartCDC_WithDebugging(). The drivers I installed are from http://ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Library%20Documentation/html/93fcfa03-228b-cbe4-e8a5-9a7a8f36cdf0.htm . The drivers .sys from this zip for the GHI_NETMF_Interface.inf file and from the SDK 4.1 are identical. The CDC_Driver.inf is not included in the SDK 4.1. I have Windows 7 x64. FEZ Panda. {Update} The GHI_NETMF_Interface.inf itself are different. They have different PIDs for the usb device{/Update}

When I deploy and debug a program with StartCDC_WithDebugging() for the first time, then everything behaves as it is described in the link above: “You have to pause it (Break All) and then click resume (Continue or Step) to continue with normal debugging.”. It takes about 5-7 sec from the time I press the “Start” button before my LED starts blinking.

Now, when I try to start debugging the second, third,… time the device is stuck after the status text " The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting…". (The LED is not blinking. It is in some state in the bootloader?) . I need to press the Reset button, and then Visual C# attaches to the process and I can continune as expected.

This is very inconvenient. What is the problem? How to get rid of the problem?

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.FEZ;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBClient;

namespace USBizi_Application1
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            // Start CDC. Comment and uncomment next line
            USBC_CDC cdc = USBClientController.StandardDevices.StartCDC_WithDebugging();

OutputPort LED;
            LED = new OutputPort((Cpu.Pin)FEZ_Pin.Digital.LED, true);
            while (true)
            {
                LED.Write(!LED.Read());
                Thread.Sleep(200);
                Debug.Print("Debug");
            }
        }

}
}

They shouldn’t be. They are different.
This is weird. Maybe something else is causing the problem…