Dragonfly

I’m currently at a Gadgeteer do in London, and looked what i spied…

Gadgeteers Granddaddy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ooooooh nice! Are you at the breakfast club thingy? Send my best to SteveJ if he is there

@ HughB - indeed i am - Steven said where are you…

The boys cooking some RGB Pixels :slight_smile:

Oh man i wish i was there, would have had to take a day off to do it though :frowning:

So what is it in the pictures? MP3 player? :smiley:

Looks that way – also it would appear that they took a guitar amp and re-purposed it.

Correct, it’s a MP3 player, all old school Gadgeteer minus the amp.
I should have taken a pic of the front…

@ Justin - You’re familiar with the MS research guys ? I googled dragonfly, and so it comes, again, from Microsoft Research UK (Cambridge). Asking myself… that’s where they designed F# too (and it is my absolute favorite language)… could someone lobby them to make F# happen on netmf ? (shouldn’t much more complicated than VB, minus the type subsystem, and generics, perhaps)

@ fradav - Have you seen this:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/714

@ fradav - Yes i have meet the Sensors and Devices team at Cambridge (i am 20mins down the road)

They have said me to that feedback/ideas about Gadgeteer is welcome…

So… what is Dragonfly, then?

@ Architect - F# (FSharp) has nothing to do with Forth :slight_smile:

@ Godefroi - I think its the original internal proto for the gadgeteer platform

@ HughB - In fact, you can see the exact same model (and logo) used on the video demonstration of the sendev team :

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/gadgeteer/default.aspx

@ fradav - Yes, I know. I have only suggested it as an example of members of this forum adding support for other languages.

Is Hugh mentioned - it was the internal name before it was released as Gadgeteer…

Those boards are ~2.5 years old - positively ancient… :whistle:

I think F# is most directly related to OCaml, right?

@ godefroi - apparently so:

@ Architect - Sorry, I didn’t understand it that way. Forth is of magnitude order simpler than F#, so I don’t think RLP is the way. F# has been designed to target CLR, anyway.

One thing to know about F# is that it has been the “testbed” language at MS Research to play with new features and backport them to .NET and C#. Then it has matured to a fully fledged language (and first-tier in VS since 2010), with always a few major features ahead of plain C#/.NET.