Distributed Computing & Clustered Networking

OK, so it will be over midnight for me (UTC +1) => 5PM + 7 hours…If I do not make any mistake ?

Would be exactly midnight. Tried my best to accommodate everyone. If I pull it back another hr then it would be 8AM Sunday in Sydney…

11pm in GB is 12pm in fr :slight_smile:

No problem, I will bring my chipkit with me at home, and put it on there, so that I’ll be able to check in live…

I can do anything from 7am comfortably so please bump it back if that helps others - just get me the necessary bits the night before so I can prep my kit :slight_smile:

@ Brett - Thanks man that’s awful kind of you, cheers! Is 1 hour back good for everyone or should we make it 2?

I’d rather not go 2.

Hi Guys,

I have one Cobra I. laying around, and I would like to join you in this. I’m UTC+1 in Czech.

So count me in! :slight_smile:

Jan

I’ve got 2 hydras, 2 spiders, 5 or 6 cerbs, one of each mountaineer, a netduino plus (if it’ll run the code). Will have to check to see how many network/wifi modules I have for the ones that don’t have built in ethernet.

I put it on my calendar!

I can join up with my Spider/WiFi in Florida.

This sounds like an exciting project and Id be thrilled to join in. If it will run on them Ive got a Domino and a Panda II that I can get on the network to participate.

@ Skewworks - so i guess you will be getting us a package of code etc so we can get setup?? I will need to update my spider with the latest firmware as required.
Really looking forward to this. :smiley:

Yes I will send it out this coming Thursday so you’ll have a full day with it before the tests begin.

Will we be able to test the communication part, or only verify that it compiles ?

Hi Skewworks,
Sorry for jumping in and hijacking your post but I think you are going to be interested in NETMFUPnP since it does almost the same thing using the standard UPnP Protocol which means it is compatible with any UPnP Device, PC, Mac and so on… i have the project unpublished in CodePlex since i didn’t have time to clean the code, just been real busy these past three Months man time flies for sure… anyway if you guys don’t mind looking at uncleaned code, I’ll be happy to publish it… and yes it compiles and works :wink:

With NETMFUPnP stack your devices will be able to detect each other and other UPnP devices like Windows PC automatically, talk to each other, control each other as well, pretty much do whatever you tell them to :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jay

1 Like

Awesome! So, we’re testing Skewworks’ code this weekend and Jay Jay’s next weekend??? :wink: I’m quite excited about the idea of UPnP on NETMF devices. I’ll be curious to hear Skewworks’ comparison of what differences there are in his approach or if his is just redundant. I’m definitely in favor of a public standards approach.

I’ve read up a bit more on the uPnP standard and there are a lot of similarities. Device discovery is nearly identical to VaultLink as is IP acquisition.

Past that uPnP relies on SOAP whereas VaultLink uses point-to-point IP sockets and commands. VaultLink further allows for a password to be required to join the network and can broadcast its presence to external networks with the aid of a web server.

All-in-all, very similar tech.

Perhaps after the big test this weekend we should look at a merge, adding the distributed computing of VaultLink to uPnP. I wonder if we could get the file sharing working as well too. That was one of the big points to VaultLink is being able to update all my devices without having to drag them over to the desktop and attach the USB cable or swap out SD card.

1 Like

You might also be interested in WS-Discovery, which is a SOAP-based way to discover “services”, which can be anything. You can run it over UDP multicast, UDP unicast, or TCP. There’s also the concept of a “proxy” for discovering across different networks.

1 Like

I think I’m going to have to postpone the test. Everything’s been working out pretty smoothly but with the excess of side work I’ve had to complete lately I haven’t had more than 8hrs to work on it in the past week or so and there’s a few components like distributed computing that haven’t even been fully tested internally yet. I’d hate to waste everyone’s time with only simple networking tests which I’m positive will work with only minor firewall and routing issues.

Now I feel really bad for distracting you with my Hydracade bling :frowning: Just let me know when you want to do it and I’ll be ready.