i got a my custom PCB with G120 and tried to Update to latest NETMF 4.3 version via Serial-Connection (COM1) with FEZConfig. I had not luck and to exclude any PCB-Errors i tried the same thing with my Cobra 3 board(s).
I can’t get it working and after 2 days of trial & error, i have no other ideas. So here is my setup and what i tried.
Setup: Win 8.1 (also tried Win 7, Win 10) 64-Bit
FTDI-Cable for Serial-Connection: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/RPi.htm
Installed netmf-v4.3.2-SDK-QFE2-RTM & GHI Electronics NETMF SDK 2016 R1 & TeraTerm
Since i have worked with my Cobra 3 boards only with USB-Connection until know, i can determine that the boards are working faultless (Debug via VS2013, Firmware-Upgrade via FEZConfig, etc.).
Now with the same progress via Serial-Connection i get problems.
I set MODE to GND, connected FTDI-Pins to D0/D1 (COM1) and GND on Cobra 3 board.
- try FEZConfig (Win 8.1)
- Start FEZConfig and Ping (no response)
- Start FEZConfig and Connect and Ping (no reponse)
- try FEZConfig (Win 8.1) (also see attached images)
- Start Cobra 3 in Bootloader Mode (press LDR0 & LDR1)
- Start FEZConfig and directly switch to advanced -> Loader Update G120
- COM5 (my FDTI Connection on PC) ist pre-selected
- Next -> Next -> the Erasing and Deploying of the Loader is successfull!
- FEZConfig is rebooting the device -> ERROR The USB driver may not have installed correctly
Hmmm. I was connected via Serial …???
- try TeraTerm & MFDeploy (Win 8.1)
- Start Cobra 3 in Bootloader Mode
- Connect on COM5 (my FDTI Connection on PC)
- i immediatly get response Bootload V1.02
- erase via EY -> ok
- X and transfer Loader.ghi vai XMODEM 1K -> ok
- reboot Cobra 3 and get response TinyBooter 188.8.131.52
- disconnect TeraTerm
- Start MFDeploy and Connect
- select the three G120 firmware files and press deploy
- MFDeploy failes (with different errors)
- surprisingly if i only select the firmware files (not the config) it can deploy but after reboot of the Cobra 3 it ends up in an Exception 0x06 loop.
Ok i then tried a lot of different combinations starting from changing FTDI driver settings, reinstalling all software and drivers, changed to another System (Win7 on same machine, win 10 on other machine), etc. etc. i don’t want to write down it all here (i also searched the forums, but no of the hints and processes helped at all)
Now today i switched to an other workstation (also 64bit) with a complete clean win7 installation. i just installed .NET 4.5, FTDI-Driver and the above noted Software (.NETMF 4.3, etc.), but no other software.
I retried every step (1. and 2. with FEZConfig) with no luck. But then the suprise: with 3. try TeraTerm and MFDeploy it works!!
i repeated the steps as noted above and could deploy the firmware to the Cobra 3 via Serial via TeraTerm and MFDeploy. After rebooting the device the firmware 184.108.40.206 ist loaded correctly. Wow
Finally i went back to my inital problem: deploying to a custom PCB with G120 via Serial-Connection. Since i only have the serial connection on the custom PCB, i can’t use usb deployment. The setup is ok (MODE low, etc.). of course i tried the same as with my latest setup that was working with the cobra 3 boards (TeraTerm & MFDeploy on fresh Win 7 workstation).
I got a connection and could deploy via MFDeploy, but … EXCEPTION 0x06 loop.
Ok, there can be other errors in the custom PCB, etc. so i don’t want to get deeper in it now.
My primary problem is the FEZConfig and my question of course: what could be wrong deploying with FEZConfig over serial connection? Since it is not working on any of the 3 workstations i’ll tried and with all the 3 Cobras i have, i would aspect an Serial (or more a FTDI-Cable) problem, but then i wonder, why i can deploy via TeraTerm & MFDeploy with the latest setup.
I hope anyone can help or give me some hints. :’(