Creation - Power Uart Hub

I just posted Power Uart Hub on Creations. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions here.

Does the board have the capability to read the voltage and current of the battery etc?

This would be ideal to monitor it’s condition. Something that is very lacking in the Seeed Studio board I currently use.

Very nice. This board should be red, though.

Only Red if it powers the Main board…

Only read if it is unsafe to use with other red modules. The power extender is not red.

The rule is, you can have one and only one red board.

My bad. I skimmed it and thought that’s what it was doing :frowning:

I think there is a little confusion here. The power uart hub is a 1 to 4 multiplexer for uarts. It also has its own optional on board voltage regulators that produce 5V and 3v3 from a DC jack. There is no battery etc.

The other creation I’m working on (search Tri-Power in the forums) will have a battery and report the batteries voltage, current, charge etc.

Adding to what Gus said. This module can be used with a red module because the on board voltage regulators can be bypassed.

Are there any extra software requirements?
I mean: will it be plug and play and go, or does it require specific software?

I’m new at this, and using VS designer to design my configuration is great, but how will this module show up in the toolbox of available modules? How will the software know about the extra ports so I can address them?

[quote]Are there any extra software requirements?
I mean: will it be plug and play and go, or does it require specific software?[/quote]

Yes. There are software requirements but it’s pretty straightforward. The necessary code is posted in the codeshare. Search “power uart” in the codeshare or try this link.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/757

What I would do is create a gadgeteer project as normal in VS designer and connect an extender module to the K port of your mainboard as a placeholder for the power uart mux.

Then you can copy and paste the source code for the power uart mux into a new class in your project. Then just make sure all the namespaces and references line up. Done.