Controlling G120 over the internet

I want to control (receive commands and transmit responses) G120 over the internet (GPRS, EDGE etc.) using a mobile phone. Both of these devices will not have external IP addresses. The only thing that comes to my mind is to use a server, which would act as a middleman. I estimate that I will need max speed of 500 B/s.

1. Is it a good approach?
  2. Are there any providers of such middleman services?

Update: I just got an idea - I could rent a server with MySQL or alike database and store messages there.

Check out: dweet.io

It has a simple REST interface and JSON payload.

It can be free.

You could have a send stream and a receive stream between your device and phone.

2 Likes

None that I am aware of. There is a 2000 character limit on the data packet. I have a G120 hitting it every second.

You only pay $1/month if you want to lock a stream. Otherwise its free.

@ andre.m - Preferably <=500ms when speed is 50B/s, <=1500ms when speed is 500B/s.

For a test I increased my update time to 500ms instead of 1000ms. I added an “elapsed” data time to show time between updates. I don’t know how long it will run but its running now.

At 1 second I had almost 55000 updates at one time before it stopped. I haven’t been able to duplicate that yet.

Impressive.

Do I understand it correctly that you cannot modify nor delete entries (dweets)?

@ iamin - That is correct. It only stores the last 500 dweets for up to 24 hours. It has no database functions. It’s more of a pipe to move data.

As a side note I also use http://freeboard.io from the same company for dashboards. Easy and free.