Connecting modules to PC via DP module

Hi,

The camera module’s wiki page ([here]) says it can be connected to a PC by directly connecting it to the DP power / USB client module and connecting that to the PC. I was wondering if this trick works for more modules, I’m particularly interested in things like the GPS module and others that are essentially UART serial that could be talked to from the PC side via FTDI driver COM port - but since I know there are caveats to be careful about, for instance not connecting 5V to something expecting 3.3V, I thought I’d ask before trying it out in case I accidentally fritz my components, nobody likes to release the magic blue smoke! Anyone know which (if any) modules might be usefully connectable to a PC?

RorschachUK

it will work on USB devices, modules with H socket. All of them…which it is only the camera fro now :slight_smile:

Ah - thanks for very rapid answer, Gus. Slightly related follow-up question which someone in the community might be able to answer, I know I can use Extender modules with breadboard headers soldered on to use non-Gadgeteer components from e.g. the Arduino world with e.g. my FEZ Spider, and have used this with connecting for example servos and sensors and adapted Arduino circuits with e.g. shift register chips. But can I also use the Extender modules in the other direction, to connect Gadgeteer modules to a breadboard to use with Arduino or other non-Gadgeteer mainboards? My guess is that with the appropriate code this might work for modules expecting X, Y, U, P, A, maybe S, I, K, probably not R, G, B, T, H, E which I think require specific hardware support. I’d also think I’d probably need to connect the module into the other socket of the Extender module, i.e. not the one normally facing the Spider mainboard. Has anyone done that? Again, I’m probably thinking of things like my Seeed Gadgeteer GPS module, and again simply checking before blowing anything up, cheaper that way.

You are in the FEZ world, you can do anything! Take a look at DuinoProto http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/319 and then follow it to the tutorial page