Compass module compatible with FEZ Mini?

I run Fez Mini. Will the compass module (Part #: GHI-SS-COMPASS-GM-323) be compatible to run with this platform ?

Thank you

Welcome to the community!

That module uses I2C and is made for Gadgeteer. You can use it with mini, but you will need to make an adapter for it or use the extender module:
http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/273

thank you for your reply.

so the extender module is connected to fez mini by gadgeteer cables…but fez mini has no such connections as far as i know. correct ?

Yes it doesn’t. You will need to “hack it in”.

Or use one of the gadgeteer mainboards.

Speaking of “Hacking”…we FEZ “Other Boards” aren’t feelin’ the love these days…all these cool new toys for the gadgeteer folks :frowning: OK, just kidding of course, but it would be cool to have a little breadboard type connector that you could attach to the gadgeteer modules that you could then connect to a Cobra, mini, etc… :slight_smile:

Stephen:

How about this module http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/286

It is used to connect E-Blocks to a Gadgeteer, but it could be used in reverse.

You will with the new announcement in few days :slight_smile:

Hm, possible, you would need to map the pins and the E-Block connectors back, but it maybe could work…

Just in time for Valentines Day Gus??? LOL…Thanks…will keep a look out :slight_smile:

@ Stephen -

Is this what you need? http://tinyclr.com/forum/21/5667/#/1/

I ordered a few extra, and I should have them in hand in 2-3 weeks. Also, you can use the DuinoProto in reverse. It is shield ready and has pads for 4 IDC connectors. Put the eBlock connector shield on it or a bunch of jumper wires and you’re golden.

many thanks for all your replies. truly great support !

I will go for the expansion module + compass module. thank you again

hello again
i have fez mini
so today I got my package : compass module + gadgeteer expansion block

Connected Pin3(on expansion mdule) to compass, and connected eblock connector from expansion module to analogIn An6.

tried to communicate with digital compass as follows :

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware;
using GHIElectronics.NETMF.FEZ;

class cDigitalCompass : IDisposable
    {
        AnalogIn analogIn;

public cDigitalCompass(AnalogIn.Pin Pin)
        {
            analogIn = new AnalogIn(Pin);
            analogIn.SetLinearScale(0, 360);
        }

public float ReadHeading()
        {
            return analogIn.Read();
        }

public void Dispose()
        {
            analogIn.Dispose();
        }

}

and in program,

static cDigitalCompass compass = new cDigitalCompass((AnalogIn.Pin)FEZ_Pin.AnalogIn.An6);

and…

public static void Main()
        {
            while (true)
            {
                Debug.Print(compass.ReadHeading().ToString());
                Thread.Sleep(300);
            }
        }

did not work. When I deployed, I get the same reading : 360

I cannot understand how analogIn knows which of the 7 eblock connectors on the expansion module to read from.

I think my implementation is too simplistic and would appreciate some pointers in the right direction.

ok modifying my question

found the appropriate driver from seeed studios, which however make use of gadgeteer assembly. when i add a reference to the gadgeteer assembly, solution compiles, but does not deploy, raising an error : Please check your hardware

is it possible to deploy the gadgeteer assembly to fez mini ? would this solve the problem ?