Communication with PC using a FEZ Panda....how?

So I’ve got my FEZ Panda reading various devices on my test bench. It’s collecting this data, averaging, etc. and now I want my PC to be able to “read” this from the Panda. In retrospect, I should have bought a proto board with built in ethernet, but here I am.

So what’s the easiest way to accomplish this? I know the Panda has a USB client port…it’s how I’ve been programming it. But is it capable of sending values to a connected PC, or do I need to pursue an ethernet shield or something else? I’m also looking to do this for low cost, so if I have to use a serial to USB converter cable or something, I’m open to that.

Any advice and comments are welcome!

Look at CDC under USB Client in the ebook please. We give you everything, from support to digitally signed windows driver :slight_smile:

William has a great class that demonstrates how to do that on Fezzer:

http://www.fezzer.com/project/191/telnet-type-class-for-netmf/

From the docs you mentioned:

That’s EXACTLY what I need! Thanks for building all of this into your products. You’ve certainly made our lives easier.

So…the code example shows how to send “Hello, world” to the PC using the GHI-supplied API, but I’m unclear on how to receive the information on the PC. I know I can use a terminal to interface with it, but I need to interface through .Net code on the PC. Are there GHI libraries for the PC side to communicate, or would you recommend finding a terminal library to use instead?

Thanks for your quick responses, guys!

-T

This creates a virtual serial port on the PC so as far as your PC application is concerned, FEZ is just another serial port

On the PC side, you can use the SerialPort class to communicate with the FEZ.

Looks like the .Net Framework does provide everything I need. Thanks for pointing that out!

.NEt Micro Framewrok is providing many things as you said, but the Virtual COM feature is currently found on GHI’s NET Micro Framework product such are FEZ Panda.
Many other features are also exclusive with GHI’s solutions.
Take a look at this FAQ to learn more:
[url]http://www.tinyclr.com/faq/#/19[/url]