Cobra "Chumby project"

We have been talking over private email, and we have set an initial meeting time for 3EST today. If you want in, now is your last chance for this meeting, although there will probably be more to come.

Thanks to everyone who joined in. I defiantly learned a lot from this meeting. Not only about project but about other possibilities in near future.

Looking forward to the next meeting :slight_smile:

Thanks to Gus and Chris for organizing the meeting.

It was a great chance to know more about the Netby, GHI, TinyClr.

Very educative.

-Rajesh

Yeah, it was a great meeting.

To those who ere not there, the meeting started off about the Netby project, then later on turned into a sort of GHI “Q and A” session.

Is it possible to have a quick summary of this meeting ? For the poor guys that can’t move that far… :wink:

Would like to see this too.

Maybe a video conference in the future? :wink:

Basically we just discussed what the best way to proceed with this. It was a very technical talk. The jist of it is that we need to come up with a simple proof of concept system to make sure this is possible.

After the Netby meeting was “over”, we just shot the breeze and chatted about GHI, NETMF and whatever else happened to get mentioned.

The entire meeting was about 2 hours long.

Hi Chris, just registered and checking in following your hounding of me on Twitter :slight_smile:

Hi Andy, how’s it going?

Right now the project hasn’t quite gotten off the ground yet because I am doing some testing on my Cobra that is taking up most of my development time. As soon as I figure out what’s going on with it and fix the issue, I will start doing stuff with the Chumby project.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to get started ahead of me, feel free.

Lets start with the easiest thing and most time consuming…what would you name this device?

To me this is better than chumby so I wouldn’t even use a similar name like netby was suggested. Plus stay away from copyright issues.

Chris, you are very serious about this then you should find a name with a domain and buy the domain name too…maybe put a mediawiki on this new site too :smiley:

Good idea Gus! :smiley:

If you need help with the website let me/us know! :wink:

I was thinking for the name: Netby

Is that too close to chumby?

As for a domain, for now, I’ll make a subdomain under my website.

Maybe something like netby.chrisseto.com

My idea of the domain is that you pick a cool name and reserve it for future when your device become a commercial device…if that is the goal.

If you would like it to become commercial you should definitely create a domain (before someone else does :wink: )

Naw, I never want it to go commercial. I just wanted it to be a little open source project that people can leisurely contribute to if they please…

Excuse my ignorance, but what does “Chumby” mean ?

Did you ask uncle google? :slight_smile:
http://www.chumby.com

I’ve asked aunty Google Traduction instead :frowning: Which was not able to translate…

Btw, I could have had my answer simply by reading the first post of this thread :-[

I’m probably going to start on this some time next week. For now, I have figured out some key things, like how to debug modules.

OK, coming in late here; Gus referred me from another thread.

I previously wrote an open source OS for the Arduino called Pyxis, which I’m now porting over to NETMF. The new OS (Pyxis 2) will be open source as well if you’d like to use it as a base for this project. Loading apps/widgets whatever you like is the first thing I tackled on the OS (it’s a few weeks away from being ready on the Domino and maybe a month or 2 for Cobra, I’m using a serial based LCD for the Domino so I need to rewrite the graphics for Cobra).

Current spec:

1. Single threaded, I can upgrade to mult-thread it’ll just take a little longer

2. Apps have 1 specific entry point which is given a reference to the window handler (for it’s graphics).

3. Additional entry points must exist to receive events such as SD mount/unmount, though the app will NOT fail if these don’t exist, it just won’t get the updates.

4. The window handler takes care of the “desktop” and provides an interface for creating windows and controls. (The controls will also need to be re-written for Cobra)

5. Window handler is capable of running any supported LCD size and updates the display area accordingly.

If there’s anything else you foresee Netby needing let me know and I’ll work it into the list.