Cobra "Chumby project"

It appears as though I have come up to an issue.

Class libraries can’t have resources, but I still need to load fonts and things.

What’s the best way to do that? I guess I could load them from the SD card, but is there any other better way?

I think you need to load your “widget” as a plug in no as a whole program. Then your widget can use resources from the system. Maybe a bad idea but you wouldn’t know till you try

How would you suggest I do that? Are there any other ways to run code from an SD card?

This is better explained on the phone. We can discuss it if you like.

So, whoever is interested in joining a meeting about this very interesting project then please let me know and I will setup an online web meeting to discuss.

Respond with “yes” and tell me what is your timezone…we do not want to have the meeting while you are asleep :smiley:

Note that you will need a high speed internet to join the meeting…and a microphone :wink:

Yes Yes Yes !

I am on EST, but can we schedule this in the evening ?

Thanks.

That sounds great!

I am in GMT -6, (-5 DST), or CST.

Yes, I too would like to at least listen in to the discussions about this project if there is a meeting. I’m EST and would prefer evening, but I’ll definitely make time to slip out of my cube for a while if I have to during the day. I think the MF (and GHI’s products in particular) are more than capable of producing something Chumby-esque, but really something much more powerful and extensible, since I believe that Chumby developers are at least partially limited by the capabilities of Flash on that device.

Any assembly can have resources, you just have to add a .resx file to your project manually. When creating a window or console app, VS just adds the resource file for you automatically. Not sure if that’s what you were referring to…

100% agreed on this. One way or another, you’d have to develop a plug-in architecture. One way to handle this is to create interfaces that plug-in developers can code against, then dynamically discover and load their custom-written assemblies/packages at runtime (or allow packages to be uploaded via REST/DPWS/etc. like you already mentioned). I’ve created a quick-and-dirty proof of concept based on the plug-in idea (a VS2010/MF4.0 solution using EMX) and put the code here:

http://derrydown.com/files/PluginTest.zip

All you have to do is build the PluginTest.SamplePlugin project, copy PluginTest.SamplePlugin.pe to the SD card, and run PluginTest.Bootloader. The bootloader app will dynamically invoke the plugin and call various sample methods/properties on it. This may or may not be a valid way of approaching the problem based on the requirements of this project; it’s just one way to tackle the problem.

We have 3 users so far. I am waiting to see if there is more interest before we schedule something.

I will use the email you have on your profile to send you a link to the meeting…maybe this evening since we are all seem to be on/around EST time.

yes cst.

Hi Gus,

This evening might be the exact wrong time for, depending on what time. I am at tutoring from 4PM to around 6:30PM CST, but any other time should work.

By the way, @ Chuckie, that’s how it was going to be done in the first place. The assembly would have a bunch of predefined method and properties to interface to the framework, and it would register to receive other events.

I hope tomorrow would work for everyone then.

I’m totally free tomorrow, so any time at all works.

Yes tomorow is good.

Hi Gus,

Were we still planning to do a group call today?

Hi All, I’m back :slight_smile:
Just going through the forum and this really caught my eye. If by chance the call was rescheduled, could someone drop me a line? I’d love to listen in. If not, no worries! :slight_smile:
-Matt

Sorry guys, I have been extremely busy all day so this has to be at some other time. I am busy in the evening tomorrow as well.

Maybe Friday at 6:00PM EST?

It is better for me to do this daytime but I understand that you guys can’t do this from work maybe so we will keep it an evening thing.

Hi Gus,

Unfortunately, I am busy all Friday.

If it works for anyone else, daytime is ok for me.

Hey Chris

It is important that You and Gus get on the call. I want to be in but day time this week could be difficult.

I don’t want to slow down anything on this. So if you want to schedule something, it is you call.

I am ok for Friday or even the weekend.

Let me know.

Thanks

-Rajesh

I have sent an email to everyone so if you are interested but didn’t receive an email from me then let me know please.