Cerbuino Deployment problem

I am new to Gadgeteer and have a problem dploying.

All deploys fine on my windows 7 32 bit desktop with VS2010 express

…BUT…

When I try to deploy the same code on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop with VS2010 Premium I get the following :

------ Build started: Project: LightSensor, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
LightSensor -> C:\Users\jimmac\Projects\Gadgeteer\LightSensor\LightSensor\bin\Debug\LightSensor.exe
------ Deploy started: Project: LightSensor, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
------ Deploy started: Project: LightSensor, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
An error has occurred: please check your hardware.
Request failed
Source: Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger
Stack :
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.Request.Wait() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 761
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.SyncMessage(UInt32 cmd, UInt32 flags, Object payload, Int32 retries, Int32 timeout) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 1993
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.GetAssemblies() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 2928
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.ResolveAllAssemblies() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 2941
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.Deploy() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 869
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsDeployableProjectCfg.StartDeploy>b__0() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 634

I see others have had similar problems - anyone got any ideas ??

Thanks in advance

Jim

Welcome! Did you update the firmware/sdk?

See installation steps on Support page.

http://www.ghielectronics.com/support/dotnet-micro-framework

Yes, followed the instructions and updated it 2 days ago.

I’ve only just got the board and it wouldn’t work at all until I’d updated it.

Can you please show a screenshot of your references and project settings?

I would suggest that you might have a different driver installed on the two. The easiest way to check is to look at device manager and see the driver details on both when you connect them.

I sometimes have to press the Cerb’s reset button and re-deploy when I get that error - but be warned, this sometimes causes my computer to reboot as soon as I press the Cerb’s reset button.

I have seen the computer reboot after pressing the Cerb reset on multiple machines, but all W7 x64. I have seen it with a CerbuinoBee and a Cerberus (multiple of each). I don’t have any other Gadgeteer boards to try it with. And it happens with both desktops and laptops, with or without a powered hub. I have found no pattern to when it causes the reboot as it doesn’t always. Occasionally instead of rebooting I get a BSOD (same end effect though). I am very glad Visual Studio auto-saves when you press the run or debug buttons.

Thanks for all the prompt feedback.

Based on what Brett said, I remembered I updated the firmware of the Cerberus using my desktop and to do this I needed to install USB Drivers for the ‘STM32 BOOTLOADER’ as part of the process.

So I installed these drivers on my laptop and now the code seems to deploy fine.

I don’t know if this is just a coincidence or not but will keep an eye on it and if the problem returns I’ll report back.

On an a-side I too get the same issues as you PintSize with the blue screen of death followed by reboot but I get it on my 32bit W7 desktop !?!?

Thanks again for the help and suggestions

@ ChimpBrain - Hiya Chimp,

If you are still using the older USB drivers then if you hit the reset button esp when VS is busy doing a deploy then BSOD is common.
If you are using the WinUSB drivers this is less common.
If you need to hit the reset button make sure you cancel any builds etc.

W7 - 64
Some times when I hit debug the Spider will get an invalid instruction. If I then hit the stop debug I will get a BSOD. But if I first hit the reset on the spider and then hit the stop debug all is well.

SDK 4.2 WinUSB drivers