CANxtra support thread

The readme in the canxtra info isn’t relevant at the point you’re at I don’t believe… That is really the internal (NETMF) debug port if you choose to use that, and has no relevance to ports on the PC.

First, what serial port are you using, and are you using a DB9 to USB converter for instance like a Prolific one?

Then lets step through the process. You said you can connect to the current bootloader, with %%%%%%% commands.

Then hit E, you’re prompted to confirm, press Y (capitals are important). Then hit X and send the tinybooter from the EMX firmware directory. Here’s a sequence I just did:

[quote]%%%%
Force Boot Loader detected
GHI loader commands are now active
BL
BL
BL
Erase all memory! Are you sure?
Erasing…BL
Start File Transfer
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
File Transfer Finished Successfully
[/quote]

So you can see how the result should go.

At this point if you check Device Manager you should see the Debuggable .Net Micro Framework device being visible, even though there’s no EMX firmware on the device.

Since you say things fail prior to that point, what devices do you see in the Device Manager? That may help in telling us how to progress from here. Also, what does your display show?

If you get past this point you use MFDeploy to do the next steps… lets see if we can get you to here !

Thanks for the help, Brett and Gus.

It turns out the TinyBooter upgrade issue was caused by the version of TeraTerm I was using. After Gus’ last message I downloaded the TeraTerm version from the GHI site and the upgrade succeeded. I’m now at version 4.1.6.0 for the TinyBooter.

In case this helps other noobs…

After TinyBooter was updated, I had an issue with the Debuggable .Net Micro Framework device. My Windows 7 box didn’t ask to install drivers when I connected the CANxtra on USB. However, there was an broken EMX device in the Device Manager. I right-clicked on that and installed the “USB Drivers/GHI_NETMF_Interface” drivers and I saw the debugging NETMF device in the device manager. The EMX_EMX device was then available in MFDeploy.

After deploying the CLR, I’ve been able run a Hello World example on the hardware from Visual Studio 2010 so I think I’m all set for now.

Thanks again.

[quote]Other question, is there any keypad out there that is compatible and can be plugged into the CANxtra keypad connector?
Eric

I doubt it but you can hack in a keypad. See schematics for available IOs
Gus
[/quote]

What about this keypad ([url]http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/335[/url])?

Anybody have a source for the nice little yellow displays found on the CANextra? Maybe something else that is compatible? Would be nice to use the existing holes in the board to mount it, but that’s not a requirement. I need two. Thanks.

I never cracked open my case before, will have to do that. But i bought one of the Gadgeteer OLED modules for mine, runs on SPI.

These displays were discontinued (one of the reasons why CANExtra was discontinued as well as I understand)

Here it is I think:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/679153-display-oled-128x64-4bit-1-0-orn-os128064pk10mo1b10.html

Current firmware supports this display so you can just use it like any other display.

@ architect - i saw they were not made anymore. i was hoping somebody had a secret stash of them :slight_smile:

Just so happens my seeed oled module arrived today, so good to know it will behave. i did find the enclosures that match the PCB mount points, so can cut a nice little square out for this display.

BTW - i was able to update firmware and blink a LED on two of the $5 CANxtras. For those lucky enough to get in on this deal, they seem to work fine.

@ Gus are you talking about Gadgeteer OLED?

No. The yellow display.

@ ransomhall

I think I found compatible (smaller) display (same driver chip) it is cheap as well :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pictivia-Display-OS096064PK12MY0Z00-/320817764341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab23a97f5#ht_764wt_1139

far out that’s a tiny connector… i guess there’s no point figuring out a deadbug style connection for your general Fez device :slight_smile:

I’m just firmware-ing my caseless one, who needs a screen :slight_smile:

@ architect - thx for the link. also thx for clarifying Gus’ comment about the display.

Just curious if it is something that is available. What does it look like?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=hm963&x=0&y=0

is a black one at Digikey part# HM963. Same enclosure as the original CANxtra, without any cutouts. Thankfully the part number was stamped on the original case. They are available.

Good to know! Thanks. Link doesn’t find anything by the way

updated link and added part number

@ Architect
Note that IC11 is missing from these last boards. Thast chip generated the required 7V-9V or what ever the display needed.

Thanks Errol!

@ Gus,
Is there any way to tell these displayless boards that they are normal EmbeddedMaster modules and not CANxtra boards? That would free up that SPI port for other use as the board spews crap over the SPI post during bootup…