Can't wait for the SDK 4.2

c# is driving me nuts :wink:

Jas

I was a VB guy too before I got into microcontrollers. If you take the time to pick it up it can be quite useful. After a few years of C# I actually hate when Iā€™m required to go back into VB

For me, the IDE and intellisense works so much better with VB.

At work, Iā€™ve found when people code in C# they tend to try to be ā€œCleverā€ in the code which makes it almost unreadable.

No one has ever had a problem trying to understand the VB.net code though :wink:

Jas
p.s. Iā€™m sure lots of people donā€™t feel the same way, I just like VB.net (Note I donā€™t mention VB6 :wink: )

I will never hate on VB. Itā€™s where I started, and it will always have a place in my geeky heart.

But as a Gadgeteer guy, when it comes to building up event handlers, itā€™s really hard to beat += Tab Tab as a quick way to get the code writtenā€¦just sayinā€™ :slight_smile:

There is a reason behind not having 4.2 yet. Details come this month.

You have me there ;-).

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m make a lot of use of cut and past. I wonder if the next VB version will have added a quicker short cut.

Jas

Get Resharper. Well worth the $$$. Itā€™ll give you all of that and more.

I started out in VB. But much like Skewworks, I cringe at the thought of having to write VB.NET code. In fact, I wonā€™t even consider VB jobs anymore. But, I understand there are people that like it and I wonā€™t diss anyone for it. However, with so few resources available on the NETMF & Gadgeteer teams it really pisses me off that they were used to port NETMF 4.2 to VB rather than giving us more powerful language & debugging features. I assume this also means that GHI will have to spend more resources to provide C# & VB ports of all itā€™s drivers. Which will in turn drive up the costs of boards and slow down the release of future NETMF releases.

Gus, Iā€™m curious to hear how GHI plans to position itself in regard to multiple language ports? I suppose it doesnā€™t directly impact the FEZ SDK since itā€™s delivered compiled. But, what about the OSH SDK? Are you porting it or will it be up to the community? Will all the SDK sample code also be ported to VB?

@ ianlee74 - Iā€™m drawing a blank on what the MS code name for the project is right now ā€¦ but there was a demonstration that allowed you to copy C# code and paste it into a VB.NET project.

Instead of it just pasting as normal, it would refactor the code (using MSIL iirc) in to VB.NET.

** I found it ā€” itā€™s called Project Roslyn. I watched a video of Hejlsberg being interviewed about what was coming in .NET 5 and this was brought up.

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/247569-roslyn-ctp-coming-soon-to-vs-near-you/

Itā€™s been released as a CTP.

@ mhectorgato - I remember seeing something about that a while back. Itā€™s very cool and will be nice for consultants getting paid to upgrade VB projects to C# :wink: Otherwise, I think itā€™s just a MSR toy that someone had fun making.

What would be interesting would be a F# port to NETMF. Language features that make it easier to manage multithreaded apps would be nice.

When I first learned programming one thing my teacher told me has always stuck in my brain, ā€˜Separate the logic from the implementation of the logic.ā€™ He was speaking of designing a program so that you could follow what you were trying to accomplish without getting lost in the details. Most of the work is done in small functions (the implementation) and the main body of your code consists of orchestrating the functions (the logic). This was even back when we only had Atari 400 and 800 computers programmed in basic (with the awful ā€˜GOTOā€™ command!).

I have used several different programming languages over the years but by separating what Iā€™m trying to do from how it will be implemented it has made it easier to move between languages. Iā€™ll quite often forget details of a particular syntax but by knowing in general what Iā€™m trying to accomplish (like use a conditional branch or a iteration) makes it easier to remember or find the syntax to accomplish that is not too hard.

For example several years ago I wanted to write a parser to read TI calculator Basic files. I was using a programmable calculator a lot and TIs PC based editor stunk. I was also trying to learn VB.NET at the time so I thought it would be a good learning experience. There was a surprising amount of information about the TI calculators on the internet and I even found some sample code but it was really, really awful; page after page of case statements to handle all the possible TI Basic tokens.

The first thing I thought of is that I would rather have an array or the opcodes and be able to call the correct opcode decoding function based on its index in the array. In C++ I would have used function pointers for this but they did not exist in VB.NET. After a few hours of reading and searching I found VB did have delegates so I was able to accomplish the same thing AND in a type safe way!

Anyhow the point is concentrate on what it is your trying to accomplish at first, not how to accomplish it. At least that has helped me to move between languages overt the years.

Please excuse my ignorance (Still new to TinyCLR)

Wouldnā€™t C# and VB.net generate the same code that gets run on the hardware?

I know with Windows Phone, they added a compiler option that dropped the need for the vb.net runtime library (Who needs the legacy MID, LEFT etc. anyway) which meant it generated the same code as C#.

Is the driver code mentioned a library or does this need to be compiled along side the main code?

Jas

Yes both are compiled and you can have vb and c# running in one project.

ā€œLanguage features that make it easier to manage multithreaded apps would be nice.ā€

async keywork and Task is the way forward imho there.

And here is why there was some delays http://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/82448
I wasnā€™t sure if I could have talked about this publicly so I didnā€™t but now you know :slight_smile:

@ Gus 4.2 is getting closer and closer! Awesome!

@ William. Long time no see! How are you, man?

I went there and donā€™t see any reasons or explanation of any sort givenā€¦what delay? why? This just looks like an upgrade to version 4.2ā€¦is it a big deal?

It is. Before releasing an SDK you have to do a lot of testing to make sure everything works on all devices.

So it is an option of going through all of that with the old RTM and then do it all over again with the updated RTM

or

delay the release and do it once with the most recent RTM.

@ hoyt - Iā€™ve been pondering using this graphic on a few topic posts herein for some time. Not wanting to ā€˜rock the boatā€™, I have refrained. Your questions, however, are deserving of this achievement awardā€¦

Sorry this wasnā€™t clear. We were waiting for NETMF 4.2 QFE1 which was juts released today :slight_smile:

I see on this page there is a link to SDK documentation !!!

When I click on it downloads & opens a very interesting menu tree, but trying to open any of them gives this message:

ā€œNavigation to the webpage was canceledā€

what gives? I want to see the information, how do you activate this?