Can Fez Panda II run C/C++ without RLP?

For a project I’m working on, I need to program a Fez Panda 2 to run on C or C++ in order to gain the necessary speed of reading data.

However, I have been told to ‘ignore RLP’ as the program needs to be written in pure c/c++ (if possible).

Is there a way of achieving this, and making the fez board have the ability to be written without using C#?

I’ve researched RLP (Runtime Loadable Procedures) but apparently this isn’t what i should be looking for.

Any advice here would be great (as being a rookie means I’ve not really the experience to know too much about this)?

@ jbutler483 - We do not support using the Panda II with only C/C++. Common use is to create your application in C#/VB and put any time critical portions of your code in RLP.

@ John [quote]We do not support[/quote]

Does that suggest that this functionality cannot be achieved with this Fez Board, or in general with GHI products?

I understand that it would not be the ‘conventional’ way not to use c# in development, but is there a ‘way’ in order to program the board in c++?

So, as I read it, it might be possible, but understandably GHI won’t be at fault for any breakages/warranty (obviously). Or is it ‘just not possible’?

Sorry if i have misunderstood you.

@ jbutler483 - It is possible to program the Panda II in C++. Several years ago, GHI would upon request, tell you how to erase the specialized loader for the Micro Framework. You would then have to find a development for the chip that the USBZI (CHI customized chip for Panda II) uses. I have been here a long time, and I don’t recall anyone actually doing it. You might also need some special hardware to program the device.

If you want a C++ device, then I would look at mBed or Arduino. The Panda II has the same form factor as Arduino.

With mBed or Arduino you could start programming in hours. To get C++ on the Panda II would probably take days if you are familiar with embedded system development in C++. If not, be ready for a challenge.

3 Likes

Plus, wiping the GHI netmf firmware was specifically a one-way process. If you erased the firmware, you were on your own and couldn’t get it back to use netmf.

Once you wipe the bootloader on the USBizi, it’s a normal bog-standard kinda-outdated LPC2387. You’d program and work with it like you’d work with any other LPC2387.

If you were an experienced LPC2378 developer, you’d be up and running in moments.

Otherwise, I’d stick to mBed or Arduino, as Mike said. My guess is that if the bare LPC2387 were a better option for you, you wouldn’t be asking here…

“bog-standard” is going to be my phrase of the week.

Sadly nobody is sure of the original meaning to this