Bootloader can't output to new 7" Capacitive touch screen

I have been using the ChipworkX with the 4.3" screen and I built in an update process for the program using the in-field update/bootloader section GHI built. I download my new hex file and save to the SD card and then access the bootloader with the

SystemUpdate.AccessBootloader();

statement. Then in bootloader mode I put up a message asking to confirm the user really wants to update or an option to exit (with buttons wired to GPIO pins). Below is the code that writes the message and it displays fine on the 4.3" screen.

Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.SystemMetrics.ScreenWidth, Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.SystemMetrics.ScreenHeight);
Font font = Resources.GetFont(Resources.FontResources.NinaB);
bmp.Clear();
bmp.DrawText("Press the Green GO button to update the software or Cancel to exit.", font, Colors.White, 20, 20);
bmp.Flush();

When using the new 7" capacitive touch screen, it just goes white when it goes into the bootloader mode. I know the code is working because I can step through it with Visual Studio. I can also hit my cancel button and it then exits bootloader mode and goes back to regular program mode as designed.

This is my last piece to fully switch to the new 7" screen and having the in-field update is so useful. I really don’t want to give it up. I’ve tried setting the lcdconfig properties for the larger screen and increased the custom heap size but no difference. The above code snippet works fine in regular program mode.