Book Error!

Curly Brackets, they are called Parentheses. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, I like the book so far :smiley:

Really? I always heard them being called curly-brackets!

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the top paragraph talks about curly brackets { } but then shows an example of a single line that uses parenthesis ( ).

I don’t see any error here : the quoted code line is indeed the only line inside the {} curly brackets. Only the curly brackets were not printed again in the excerpt.

I see. Well then i apologize for my interpretation of the text, and thinking the “curly brackets” was actually describing the parentheses below the context.

Actually, i just reread the paragraph. It is referring to the line of code within the first program we create. And it then displays that line of code being talked about, which is Debug.Print(“Amazing”); that being said, it is indeed referring to these “brackets” being used. which are called parentheses.

Parenthesis != brackets

Brackets are used to denote blocks
Parenthesis are used to denote arguments or input.
if (somecondition)
{

}

In australia/uk brackets == parenthesis.

To us:
() = brackets
{} = curly brackets, braces, curly braces.
<> = triangular brackets (in xml/xaml)

[quote]In australia/uk brackets == parenthesis.

To us:
() = brackets
{} = curly brackets, braces, curly braces.
<> = triangular brackets (in xml/xaml)
[/quote]

And what are [ ]?

The “brackets” are referring to the main statement brackets, it would be a lot easier if the picture showed whats inside main.

All in all, its ok though

@ Mike square brackets are array indexers.

Following are the “official names” for C#:

[ ] brackets
() parentheses
{ } Braces.

[] to us in Aus working as programmers are just square brackets Mike. We’re an odd bunch down this way though :wink:

oh hey, another Aussie ! :wink:

But i’m in WA, so might as well be another country to you :stuck_out_tongue: (guessing you’re over east)

as Mike stated :
Following are the “official names” for C#:

[ ] brackets
() parentheses
{ } Braces.

^ i win! =P.

THE SYNTAX WARS BEGIN! :naughty:

Should we now debate K&R vs Alman style bracing? That’s about the most nitpic programming argument there is.

Chris: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have some very strong views on how many spaces are to be used for indentation.

Tabs Vs spaces! ::slight_smile:

One tab per block level. NO SPACES!!!

It is fun reading all this :smiley: I honestly would call it anything you guys like since this is so not important. What is really important is that you can easily make things with FE that were impossible before :wink:
…I am talking about making things that you can be proud off and maybe sell commercially.