Basic NETMF question

HI:
In my coming 2 years project, I will use the NETMF devices to develop it.
My boss asks me to show him what NETMF is and what these devices can do.
So, I am writing a power point document for Basic NETMF tutorial.
I have some basic questions, does NETMF works like a Virtual machine? like JAVA?
What is the difference between Arduino and NETMF?
I need to tell my boss why I choose NETMF not a Arduino or LEGO MINDSTORMS
If I finish this tutorial then I can share here.

Thanks

How would you answer that question?

.NET Micro Framework uses a small version of the .NET Common Language Runtime, or CLR. While this is similar to a VM, it is better described as an environment for running managed code. The CLR manages memory, takes care of type checking, and in general provides a number of services that make the code you write more straightforward, and less prone to things like memory leaks.

On top of the CLR, you have a set of class libraries that provide the basic functionality for everything from networking to interfacing with hardware.

The official .NET Micro Framework site has a good statement on the Why of NETMF here:

http://www.netmf.com/what-is-the-net-micro-framework.aspx

Another advantage of .NET Micro Framework is that you can use the same code and skills to target multiple hardware platforms from multiple vendors (things like FEZ Panda, Domino, and Mini from GHI, and the Netduino line from Secret Labs), and with the availability of the porting kit, and source availability, those who want to port NETMF to another hardware platform are free to do so, and the code written on top of NETMF will then run on that new platform as well.

But ultimately, I think the biggest advantage to .NET Micro Framework is one of productivity. Being able to use the same language and set of tools for applications that span from the cloud and the desktop, to web applications, and all the way down to the embedded world, is a very powerful thing

Hope that helps.

Debug, live Debug, don’t forget the productivity gains that can bring too !

We can tell you all sorts of good things about .NET MF, but you made the decision to it based upon your understanding of your project requirements. Any comparison should be made against these requirements. It is always best to discuss a decision with your boss within context.