ARM/Linux - tricorder; specifications released

Any reason we can’t do this on a FEZ? (other than time and budget?)

Sensors:
Sensiron SHT1 - Amospheric Temperature & Humidity
VTI SCP1000 - Absolute Pressure Sensor

Lassen iQ - GPS Receiver
MaxBotix MaxSonar LV - Ultrasonic distance sensor
Analog ADXL330 and Invensense IDG300 - Sparkfun IMU breakout (5 degrees of freedom)

PNI Corp MicroMag3 - 3-axis Magnetic Field Sensor
Avago ADJD-S311-CR999 - Colour RGBC Sensor
Melexis MLX90614 - Non-contact IR Thermometer
TAOS TSL256x - Light-to-digital converter

System specs:
Processor: Atmel AT91RM9200 ( ARM920T 32-bit RISC core / 180MHz )

Displays: Dual 2.8" Organic LED displays, 320x240 resolution, 16-bit colour depth
Display Controller: Integrated Epson S6E63D6
Input: Dual resistive touchscreens (one on each Organic LED display)

Memory: 32MB SDRAM
Flash: Atmel AT45DB642D 8MB Dataflash for boot

SD Card socket: Micro SD socket, stores Linux OS and filesystem
Battery: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer (1000mAh)
Ports: USB device (serial console), USB Host (for connecting memory sticks, WiFi, etc.), External Power Adapter

Sensor Board Processor: Microchip dsPIC33FJ64GP706 ( 16-bit / 40MIPS / 16k RAM / 64K FLASH )
Sensor Expansion: Sensor board and motherboard are interconnected through a single flat flex cable (FFC), making it physically easy to upgrade. The sensor board contains a co-processor to handle low-level sensor communication, and a predefined protocol for all sensor communication, easing future sensor board development.

http://www.tricorderproject.org/tricorder-mark2.html

If I understand this correctly, you can do this with FEZ today!

a fez tricorder is easy… what I want is a fez transporter!

It’s easy except for the melexis non-contact thermometer which has it’s own ideas on how to run an I2C bus… I was building almost the exact thing almost two years ago for a mother-in-law who wanted to be a ghost hunter using a FEZ Panda II, a 4DSystems display and all the various sensors. In my case we used one of the hollow books people use to stash their remote controls in to house all the electronics. Even the Melexis may work now with the a newer software I2C.

Definitely want to see some hand held lipo powered NETMF projects in the future. Maybe when I order my oldest son’s birthday presents (he wants a hydra + screen and some components) I’ll pick up a couple more OLEDs and see what I can come up with. :slight_smile:

Figuring out the right way to make LiPo co-exist with USB DP module has been a bit tricky for me though. I am not good at the hardware side at all.

@ Skewworks,

It actually would be quite easy to make a LiPo board to work in conjunction with the USB DP module. GHI was kind enough to bring the DC jack detect and UD_VBUS signals out to the header. I am not sure if this would violate the rules, but one could make a board that the USB DP module would plug into and then on the other end of the board would have the same pinout as the USB DP module which would then plug into whatever the USB DP would.

There could be a small SM switch on the battery board so that if the user wanted to it would auto switch to LiPo when USB or DC in was removed without and power interruption.

Jim - Nice. :). I don’t care about the Gadgeteer rules in this case since I just have a few things I personally want to power. Definitely pasty curren skills but maybe after I make an I Socket hub in a few months I’ll look at giving it a go.

@ Skewworks, You know how to contact me. IF you want me to make one for you no problem. Will design it and lay it out for free for you, you just buy parts & pay for board costs.

You’re the best Jim! You need to get some software help or code out of me one of theses days or else just a nice Christmas present as a thanks for always helping me out on the hardware :smiley:

I think this time I’m going to grab so flux and attempt o solder at least a SMT Gadgeteer header or something.

No sweat, Your a great guy. One day i will get back into .netmf. When i do it would be nice for a refresher jump start.
I am still waiting for the dust to settle first, and more importantly a board like the G120 but with Ethernet built onboard. Everything i do is Ethernet biased.

I just ordered a bunch of equipment to put boards together. should be no problem to be able to put together a small batch of anything. NO need to pick up the soldering iron :wink: