Arduino? When did you use it last? Will you use it in future?

I think this will be an interesting question. I have no idea what to expect!

1. Do you own an Arduino board?
  2. When was the last time you used it?
  3. Do you plan on using it in the future?

[line]

My answers are

1. Yes
  2. too long ago just to see what arduino is about
  3. probably not
  1. yes, 2 + 3 atmega’s 328
  2. Last project was the wireless RFID reader (2012)
  3. Probably yes for cheap wireless nodes (temp, hum, light, pir) unless there will be a price comparable .netmf alternative

@ EriSan500 (Eric) - by cheap, do you mean using the chip itself? If not, we have a $25 board today and it is not a Chinese knock off

1. Do you own an Arduino board?
  2. When was the last time you used it?
    3… Do you plan on using it in the future?

[line]

My answers are

1. No
  2. Never
  3. Probably, since this is just a hobby for me, I want to try play with all these boards.

Yes, I can build a wireless temperature node with just a atmega328, a nrf24l01+ and a temp sensor running on 2xAA batteries for about 2 years for just under 10€.
They transmit their values to a nrf24l01+ equipped Fez Cobra for further processing and database storage :wink:

1. Yes.
  2. about two years ago when I discovered MF
  3. if the situation required it

[ol]No.
N/A.
Yes, the DUE is an extremely interesting option. There’s no reason it couldn’t be put together for roughly the same price as the Cerb40, so for anything requiring higher performance, it is an obvious option.[/ol]

1. Yes
  2. Not long ago
  3. Absolutely
  1. No
  2. N/A
  3. No, .NETMF is better now in almost every way.

So STM32 is not an option because of price or DIP package?

My guess is price, parts count, and power consumption.

1. Yes, Arduino Uno
  2. Three weeks ago for testing the Arduino with the software “S4A” (Scratch for Arduino).
    I’m a teacher at a vocational school in Germany and I’m working on project to program a Cerberus with Scratch. Each student at our school has an own Cerberus to build a robot with it. Basics of computer science and electrical engineering are taught using the Cerberus robot as a learning tool.
  3. Probably no

Got more details? Link? Price? Package?

Yes
Just before I started Pyxis 2
Yes at some point I’ll revisit Pyxis on the new DUE

1. Yes, several. More on the way (Digisparks).
  2. A few months ago.
  3. Yes. They are very cheap (1/2 price of anything NETMF) and so are perfect for offloading tasks that need better realtime or for just offloading tasks from my FEZ.
  1. not really. I have an ATMEGA32 based board, though it’s not an arduino form factor.
  2. It hasn’t seen power in 3 years
  3. not overly likely. Tool chains and debugging alone turn me off.
  1. Yes.
  2. Last month.
  3. Yes.

Both frameworks have pros and cons. Fundamentally, they’re just tools in the toolbox.
A nail can be driven with a coffee mug.

-CF

1. Yes.
  2. Today.
  3. Yes.
    The Arduino platform runs the 3D printers I work with. It has to drive 4 stepper motors and motion profiles.
  1. Not yet, waiting on Galago and smARtDUINO
  2. Not yet
  3. Can’t wait to try to port .NETMF to it and the smARtDUINO smARtCORE G processor board (ARM Cortex-M3)

Huh. That smARTDUINO stuff is very interesting. It’ll have, however, the same Gadgeteer problem, except those board connectors are going to be even more expensive. At least the boards are extremely affordable.

Galago still looks like a potential big winner to me, it’s like the DUE but with on-chip debugging included.