Arduino ESLOV

I’ve been watching the ESLOV Kickstarter with much interest. To me this Kickstarter is going to be a testament to whether the real problem with Gadgeteer was the concept or the tooling. Most Kickstarters that make it seem to do so in the first couple weeks. Given that they’re only at about 17% of their goal with 19 days to go, I’m not betting on them succeeding. It’s good to see that the market has been consistent with Gadgeteer, Netduino GO, and now Arduino ESLOV. Of course, anything can still happen in 19 days…

A nearly half-million dollar goal? They collected $82K already, which would seem to me to be enough to launch something like this. I can’t fathom why they feel that they need $492K to make a go of it.

yeah, some random guy with a reflow oven and a $10k pick-n-place should be able to make a go of that for that $80k! :wink:

1 Like

I agree. Perhaps this was Arduino’s plan to get a new factory built before they kissed & made up with Arduino? :wink:

These concepts always seem to be limited by the number of things you can connect at the same time. Why use pins when you can have so many multi slave buses like SPI, I2C; or even multi master like CAN. Gadgeteer was like that, Adruino is like that, BBB is like that Parallex is like that. Why is everyone so hung up on shields?

I don’t think that project is going to get funded.

Did you look at ESLOV? It’s actually based on I2C. Every module has its own uC the same way that Netduino GO did. Personally, I always thought that basing modules on actual pins was a better approach since its easier to directly translate into a final product. The ESLOV approach is certainly simpler and perhaps better when all you want is a true proof of concept and not a “1st draft” of a final product which is what I would have considered a Gadgeteer project.

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - Ok then yea it does use I2C. That fact did not come across in the video.

Edit: I guess it’s awesome after all.

[quote=“ianlee74”] Perhaps this was Arduino’s plan to get a new factory built before they kissed & made up with Arduino? :wink:
[/quote]

Why is Arduino kissing itself again? I must have missed something

Hah. That is so Italian.

Look for another dispute and reorganization in 6 months, :slight_smile:

Yet, only 384 people in the entire Aduinoverse agree with you so far. If I didn’t already have so much experience with Gadgeteer, I would be one to think this was the best thing since sliced bread. I’ve spent years now thinking about this “problem” and I can’t figure out why more people don’t jump on the modules bandwagon or how it could be changed so that more people do. I’m not sure if its price, a true desire to do things the hard way, our inability to demonstrate why the approach is superior, or perhaps I’m just wrong.

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - They lack curiosity. If the video had demonstrated it working with a service like IFTTT it would have appealed to alot more people.

We should have as a community, done that a long time ago. Not saying that we should go back and do it though, since at this point the ESP8266 allows just about anything to be network attached, using wires in this day and age is a step backward.

Still need wires for power for anything that needs 24/7 operation and frequent updates.

@ skeller - Battery power FTW. I’m sure most sensors will last months on a single charge. You only need to turn on the device when there is an event worth turning on for. (like button press, or motion detected etc).

@ Mr. John Smith - Not Gadgeteer sensors. Those high-speed MCUs are very power-hungry.

@ godefroi - Well that sucks. Some testing will be required then.

@ Mr. John Smith - Even worse if you want wi-fi, which consumes a lot of current whenever it’s transmitting.

Perhaps. Personally, I find IFTTT so limiting that it’s boring…

Believe me we wanted to. The problem was that we were never given a good hardware/software solution for doing IoT on Gadgeteer/NETMF. It’s unlikely we’ll ever see something equivalent to the ESP8266/ESP32 for NETMF.

After HaD’s series on MQTT, I find IFTTT and other “cloud-based” solutions extremely uninteresting. I want my house to work even when Azure (or my ISP) is down.

2 Likes

Passive Wi-Fi to the rescue (when/if it become available)!