Main Site Documentation

Always Double-Buffer!

I’ve been doing a lot of graphic intensive work; moving a mouse pointer in real time, game engine, etc.

I always knew doing a full flush chewed up more time than flushing only the affected regions but let’s really break it down.

Moving the mouse cursor around it’s so slow doing a full flush you can’t even really use it. So I double-buffered it and oh is it snappy.

Next the game engine; that was always double-buffered to assist in scrolling. However, I opted for full flushes every time; figuring w/ the number of objects affected it would be best. NOOO.

Break down of a render loop:
Reset variables, Check Pause Button, Auto Scroll: 0.0006sec
Check Joystick (intensive): 0.0009sec
Move, Animate and 6point collision detect character: 0.002sec
Copy buffer to front: 0.1176sec
Manage 14 enemy animations & movement: 0.0043sec
Calc & Display FPS: 0.0080sec
Full Flush: 0.1088sec

So just doing copy/flush takes 0.2264sec
Everything else combined takes 0.0158sec!

I spend about 20x more cycles just copying and flushing. I’ll let you know what the new numbers are after I’ve had 14 enemies and 1 character copy and flush out only their affected regions.

And the results are in after changing from full to partial flushes the new totals are:

Reset variables, Check Pause Button, Auto Scroll: 0.0006sec
Check Joystick (intensive): 0.0009sec
Move, Animate and 6point collision detect character + Partial Flush: 0.0067sec
Manage 14 enemy animations & movement + Partial Flush: 0.0056sec
Calc & Display FPS: 0.0080sec
Full Flush: 0.1088sec

This has taken me from a High/Low of 30/24FPS to 54/70!!

Yes and it is even a lot worse on larger displays

@ Skewworks: In the datasheet of the LPC controller, I read somewhere that “Cursor support” is built in in hardware. The controller does the overlay for you without removing the underlying pixeldata. You might want to check this out.

Oh yes, you can do cursor in hardware. I do not even think you need RLP, just use register access.

Nice! 8)

I’m going to keep the existing code for now, but I’ll look into the hardware cursor. I’m mostly concerned about supporting other LCDs :wink: