A SoM for the chipsets, is it usefull?

We have an internal debate on whether you may find a G30 or G80 surface mount useful SoM.

Pro:
Soldering the SoM (something like the G120) is easier than soldering the LQFP chip
The crystal and essential R/C will be on the SoM, provide a 3.3V and it will simply run
Easier board layout

Con:
The SoM will cost a lot more than the chip alone, like double
The SoM can’t be easily wired so the only way to use it is through designing a PCB and if you are designing a PCB then why not just use the chipset?
Machines can place the chipset easier than placing a SoM.

I personally don’t see any added value with SoMs for G30/G80 (especially G30).

@ Gus -

For the guys who don’t have hardware experience enough like me then SoM is better.

I’m just the software guy, but I guess placing a chip + a hand full of components is not much more complicated than using a SoM.
If you can’t handle the chip, then you probably should use the through hole version.

How about if you add castellated pins (half vias) to the HDR boards then they can be used as either a thru-hole or as a SoM? I personally don’t see any added value in a separate SoM for these chips.

I have a question about this, though… Currently, the G30HDR is listed as $14.95 (qty 1) and the G30 SoC (qty 1) is listed as $15.95. Are you giving us a really good deal on the G30HDR or is the price incorrect for the G30 since its not yet available? I would not expect it to be cheaper to buy G30HDR boards and desolder the chip than to buy the chip itself. Perhaps the G30 price should be $12.95? :smiley:

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - We have already done this, add the castellated holes to the G30HDR (internally) but this never made it to production :slight_smile: I am with you on this but I need more votes for this option.

As for the price, consider you are getting the G30HDR for an amazing introductory price. If volumes made sense, the price may continue to be amazing 8)

1 Like

If the price is right - yes. But the pricing does not look right.

@ iamin - volume also sets the price, not just cost.

[quote=“Gus”]
@ ianlee74 - We have already done this, add the castellated holes to the G30HDR (internally) but this never made it to production :slight_smile: I am with you on this but I need more votes for this option.[/quote]

I’m curious if there is an argument against adding the castellated holes. I can’t think of any reason not to other than the additional work to add it to the design and it sounds like you’ve already done that.

Castellation of the DIP40 size :think:

How about a castellated PCB with a BGA version of G30/80 + Clock with a size that is a little bigger or same as the LQFP ?

EDIT

Does this mean a multi layer PCB ?

If the simplest option is castellated edges, and you’ve done that already, then I say do that and be done with it. If someone wants to use them, they can - but equally simple for a one-off or low run is designing in a set of 0.1" headers on a custom PCB and use the module as a plug-in.