A Gadget for Christmas?

This ready-to-fly unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) development platform is a fully assembled quadcopter, built around the Intel® Aero Compute Board. It is geared for developers, researchers, and UAV enthusiasts to help get applications airborne quickly.

Some of its features are listed below:
Equipped with Intel® RealSense™ technology
Runs on open-source Linux* operating system
Pre-programmed flight controller with Dronecode PX4* software
Support for AirMap* SDK for airspace services

[url]Intel® RealSense™ Computer Vision - Depth and Tracking cameras

2 Likes

Yet another attempt to use a µProcessor to do the work of a µController.

If all you want to do is fly in a drone race then sure… But, I think this is aimed at much more sophisticated applications that would normally require the combination of a drone + external PC. I like it!

And in other news, resin.io did an IFU on a drone while it was still flying… [url]https://resin.io/blog/how-we-updated-a-drone-while-flying-dockercon2016/[/url]

This is pretty impressive to me. I’ve been a user of resin.io for some time. It is not terribly compatible with netmf (due to the reliance on docker containers), but it does work with a number of lightweight Linux platforms (including RPi, BBB and Artik), and I did some demos and blogging on how to create and use C#/mono containers. It would be nice to see the Octavo platform added to the list of supported resin platforms or for GHI to engage on creating a more generalized asset management platform.

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - Then they should have paired the Atom processor with a Quark Soc. But the board they are using doesn’t have one.

Why? It has an onboard Altera Max 10 FPGA. What exactly would a Quark add that isn’t already in this package?

@ ianlee74 - I didnt see part about the fpga. now the price makes sense.