4.2 support is finally here, download now!

You may be just impatient. I ran into this the other night with a Hydra and I let it run for a minute or two and it finally moved on. Not sure what it’s waiting on. I hope all of this type stuff goes away with the 4.3 clean-up version :smiley:

I have noticed that, in general, the Cerb40 is slower at deployments and stuff than the Panda II was.

@ godefroi - I just noticed that I wasn’t quite clear. I saw this immediately after upgrading to the 4.2 firmware for Hydra. At first glance once might could jump to the conclusion that 4.2 is the issue since you’re only experiencing it on a Cerb40.

I just experienced the Cerberus BSOD. Nice feature… I think it’s related to debugging. I had put a breakpoint on a line of code and ran to that point. After a few seconds, I hit F10 and it would not proceed to the next line. I stopped the debugger. I then tried to duplicate the problem. At this point I was unable to deploy the code without resetting the Cerberus. Again, it stopped at the break and I was unable to F10 to the next line. I stopped the app. To be sure it wasn’t something weird with that line of code, I decided to put another break a little further up on a very simple Debug.Print line. Hit F5 and boom! BSOD. Hopefully, this will help solve the puzzle.

One other thing to note… Since I had a scope connected and my test app was trying various PWM signals, I know that once the BSOD occurred the app did continue as expected.

Because I’m just a sucker for punishment I had to try and reproduce this again. I put the breakpoint on the Debug.Print line then hit F5 and ran to that line. I was able to F10 down a little further than before - maybe 10 lines (~5 seconds) and then the debugger locked up and I couldn’t F10 any further. I stopped the debugger. Hit F5 to try again. It got stuck deploying the code again. After maybe 45 seconds, I hit the reset button on the Cerberus. My computer immediately shut off and rebooted. No BSOD. It just immediately shut off.

I’m going to try now with a Hydra just to help prove it’s a 4.2 problem and not a Cerberus. If I don’t respond tonight then you know my computer decided it couldn’t take any more…

UPDATE: I tried with a Hydra (w/ 4.2 firmware) with the exact same code/modules/etc. and stopped on the same line and I had no problems stepping through the debugger. I tried this several times and could not cause any issues. The only difference in these tests was the sockets that the modules (IO60P16 & Joystick) were plugged into. I’m not convinced there’s not an issue with the Cerberus.

I think I just found a new bug related to the 4.2 install. I removed all GHI SDKS & NETMF 4.1 prior to installing 4.2 as instructed. So, all that is currently installed is what comes with the 4.2 bits in the original post.

I tried to create a new “FEZ Panda” project using the VS2010 template and I received this…

Yeah could be. Do lot use template for now.

Not really an option… :wink: It seems that whatever it’s referenced is also saved in old Panda projects. I can’t open them anymore :frowning: Trying to figure out what needs to be changed…

We never support or recommend the use of old projects when switching microsofts’ SDK.

I understand and usually have no problem upgrading the projects. However, it appears that if you only install the 4.2 package then it does not install any of the xxxx_GHIElectronics.NETMF.xxx assemblies. I’m going to try re-installing the 4.2 bits now just to be sure something didn’t go wrong the first time.

You are using Microsoft 4.2 but still using GHI 4.1. There is no 4.2 for premium offers yet.

I guess I misunderstood then. I thought when you said

that you were saying that 4.2 was backwards compatible with 4.1 and that they would run but they wouldn’t get the new 4.2 enhancements. So, it seems that currently the only way to run a non-Gadgeteer board is to re-install NETMF 4.1 SDK?

@ ianlee74
.NET Framework 4.2 installer already contains 4.1. After you install it you can choose which version you want to use (like with regular .NET)

I started a new Gadgeteer VB project on Hydra. I have changed nothing in the code and runned it for test purpose. In the Execution Window I got the following warnings. Is it normal?

[quote]Warning: socket 13 is not compliant with Gadgeteer : Socket of type A must provide analog input scale/offset through calling SocketInterfaces.SetAnalogInputFactors
Warning: socket 14 is not compliant with Gadgeteer : Socket of type A must provide analog input scale/offset through calling SocketInterfaces.SetAnalogInputFactors
Using mainboard GHI Electronics FEZHydra version 1.2
Program Started[/quote]

@ jango_jas
Did you update firmware in your Hydra to the latest beta that has .NET MF 4.2 support ?

I figured out where I messed up… Gus’ instructions said to uninstall NETMF 4.1 and then install NETMF 4.2. I already had 4.2 installed so I didn’t bother re-installing it. Had I understood then that it also installs 4.1 then this wouldn’t have been an issue. I re-installed 4.2 and now everything works as planned (including the Panda template). Sorry for the trouble.

@ Gralin

I meticulously did all the uninstall / install and firmware upgrade.

[quote]Pinging… TinyCLR
HalSystemInfo.halVersion: 4.2.0.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo: Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
HalSystemInfo.oemCode: 255
HalSystemInfo.modelCode: 0
HalSystemInfo.skuCode: 65535
HalSystemInfo.moduleSerialNumber: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
HalSystemInfo.systemSerialNumber: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
ClrInfo.clrVersion: 4.2.0.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo: Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion: 4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion: 4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Copyright © GHI Electronics, LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate: Apr 11 2012
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion: 410462
FloatingPoint: True
SourceLevelDebugging: True
ThreadCreateEx: True
LCD.Width: 320
LCD.Height: 240
LCD.BitsPerPixel: 16
AppDomains: True
ExceptionFilters: True
IncrementalDeployment: True
SoftReboot: True
Profiling: False
ProfilingAllocations: False
ProfilingCalls: False
IsUnknown: False[/quote]

A BSOD for me to report with Cerberus deployment and resetting the board. many times!

Still no success with SDCard on Hydra. I have tested the standard and the micro SDCard modules. No trigger event for mounting and unmounting.

And for Cerberus, I get the following message (see image below)

Thanks.

@ jango_jas

I had some problems with updating the Hydra Firmware by SD. I ended up succeeding with a 1GB SD card formatted as FAT32. Before that I tried a 4GB card with NTFS and FAT32, and the same 1GB card with NTFS. I read somewhere that the booter needs a smaller capacity SD card, but using the SD module for file access from your project supports larger capacities. I’ll have to double check that the file access works after the update, but I seem to remember using it before without a problem.