2 dead hydras

Aron Or other support:
I have a Windows 7 Pro machine with dual Xeon processors and both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. I have been using a USB 2.0 port. No virtual machine.
The rest of the machine is as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Z620 Workstation
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 6
Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard J61 v03.06, 3/27/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “6.1.7601.17514”
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.8 GB

I don’t have easy access to another machine.

I haven’t taken the time yet to learn how to develop the firmware or I would. It’s certainly on my list of things to do but not in the near future. Perhaps taylorza or someone whose already got the build process down can take a look.

However, I would think GHI would want to fix this before the next SDK release. This problem essentially results in a bricked (RMA-able) device that will cost you money.

@ Amit Puri

If you have access to a certain few modules, there is a way to bypass the Ethernet lockup.

I have tested successfully with the Display’s CP7, T43, and TE35 using the B or G sockets. Also tried was the Char Display and the Music module. Other than any power modules, one of those could work too. Just try any other module you may have, if you do not have any of the ones I mentioned, except for powered (red) modules.

1 Like

@ Aron -

I tried connecting T35, no luck

I also tried on my netbook, installing VS2012 and GHI SDK.

1. FEZ Config tool - same issue, it shows device connected and as soon as I perform any operation, it shows Device not connected - I tried Deployment(Advanced) to change name - it shows same error.

2. I tried Legacy updater - same error

3. I tried Manual - using extender on socket 3, connecting pin 8 to 10 for 5 secs and update - same error

I may be working on it over weekend now.

Do let me know if I am missing something here?

Didwe cover the basics, like how is the board being powered? Direct USB no hubs? Powered hub? power pack?

@ Gus -

I used USB Client SP Module, direct USB
No power back, no hub

So what if power is not enough? I am guessing here. Have you tried to plug a different port? or different PC? or add a hub?

In the loader mode, none of the GHI hardware is running. This is purely Atmel.

I can’t wait till everyone has TinyBooter loaded and we do not change it anymore.

@ Gus -

with Music module, I could able to reach TinyBooter.

it is not updating firmware.

Screenshot added

@ Aron -

thanks Aron, I could attached Music module and reach Tinybooter, but on updating firmware. it is back to device not connected error.

so are you applying the Ethernet firmware and not connecting the Ethernet module? And if not, step through the manual process. https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/125/firmware-update-fez-hydra

@ Brett - I was trying Non Ethernet. it worked after connecting to Windows 7

I worked after Erasing Firmware from Windows 7, and later updating back in Windows 8 using FEZ Config

Connecting to device…FEZ Hydra_Gadgeteer
Loader (TinyBooter) Version: 4.2.4.0
Firmware (TinyCLR) Version: Not available.
Connecting to device…FEZ Hydra_Gadgeteer
Loader (TinyBooter) Version: 4.2.4.0
Firmware (TinyCLR) Version: 4.2.5.0
HalSystemInfo.halVersion :4.2.0.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo :Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
ClrInfo.clrVersion :4.2.0.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo :Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion :4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion: 4.2.5.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Copyright © GHI Electronics, LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate: Apr 25 2013
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion: 410713
LCD.Width: 320
LCD.Height: 240
LCD.BitsPerPixel: 16

and now I am facing deployment issue from VS2012 Error message is

Error 1 Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer

it looks there is another thread on the same, I need to follow that one.

thank you all for your support.

@ Amit Puri - did you ever solve this problem? I believe I’m having the exact same problem with all of my Hydras. I’ve tried on two different Win8 machines. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Win7 machine available at the moment to try erasing from there as you did. I can see the devices just fine when they’re in TinyBooter. However, when I start them in TinyCLR nothing is detected.

@ ianlee74 -

Yes, resolved for mine using your post https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=12466

:smiley: Well, I guess I have a different problem then… :wink: