XBEE and XMODEM?

@ jeffvan - FYI, I found and squashed a bug in Version 1 of the code, so you may want to download version 2.

A final update on this topic…

Good news! I now have my little wireless web cam functioning. It receives commands from my laptop and snaps pictures on demand. Then, it transfers the images back to the laptop using Iggmoe’s XMODEM classes (.NETMF and full .NETFX). There were a number of un-anticipated problems, but long story short, it works.

A couple of lessons learned:

• Disable flow control when your device doesn’t support it.
  • Monitor Serial Ports for errors; you might see Frame errors. In my case, it seems to have been due to wireless interference; switching channels on the modems took care of the problem.
  • Disable/disconnect event handlers not related to XMODEM before engaging it; I had one in place designed to capture “commands” and it interfered with the XMODEM handshake

Bonus: my little gadget now happily operates on battery power courtesy of GHI’s battery power module.

One last word: the file transfer at 9600 baud (320x240 bmp) is really slow. I have yet to test at faster rates.

Thanks to everyone here for the help! Very much appreciated!

Awesome! Faster baud rates should make a huge difference, I imagine. If you feel like it, you could showcase your project. Definitely sounds interesting.

Also, it should be easy to implement some sort of simple RLE compression? Depending on your device, you might even manage something like a GIF conversion.