WiFi RS21 Crashing

I’m using the code from here:
http://www.tinyclr.com/codeshare/entry/361

Works fine on one PC, but not my laptop. It crashes as soon as you try and access methods such as wifi.Scan(). Throws a hissy, drops debugger, infinitely rebooting.

I am using only USB power. Does this module require external power maybe? That is my best guess, but I need to find me a 2.1mm jack before I can verify. Anyone else have similar experiences?

It is most likely a not enough power problem. Use an external power supply.

Joe, that seems to be the problem. Instead of external power, I unplugged other modules (T35 screen, takes lots of power) and that did the trick. Wifi RS21 no longer crashing. If I want my plethora of modules to work together, I obviously need more power. Thanks!

While USB specifications say ports should provide 500mA, we rarely see a port that can actually provide 500mA. We always recommend the use of powered hubs or a power pack instead of relying on the USB power. Use a powered hub from a known brand, not a cheap hub. If your device has the option of using a power pack (for example the USB Client D Module) then you can use a power pack instead. 9V 1A is typically recommended but check the bottom of the circuit board for printed voltage range. All power connectors on GHI products are 2.1mm with positive on the inside and negative on the outer ring.

Not using a powered hub or power pack can cause:
[ul]Unexplained behavior
Device does not function
Device functions intermittently
Device functions but network fails
Device functions but SD card fails
Device functions but firmware update fails[/ul]
(Generated by QuickReply)

Thanks for that info Josh. I was always under the impression that the USB would be enough - unless noted otherwise. Good thing I got myself a pwr adapter!