WiFi module does not initialize?

I just got the Gadgeteer Wifi module and it seems like it will not initialize?

I have only power, T35 display, and wifi module connected. I have tried the Wifi Module on sockets 6 & 9, and also swapped in a few different cables to make sure that wasn’t the culprit.

I get this error when I run a brand new empty project (after adding and connecting the modules in the designer).

Using mainboard GHIElectronics-FEZSpider version 1.0
    #### Exception System.Exception - 0xffffffff (1) ####
    #### Message: 
    #### GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.RS21Driver::SetBootloadOption [IP: 0000] ####
    #### GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.WiFi::Enable [IP: 0051] ####
    #### Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21::.ctor [IP: 0065] ####
    #### GadgeteerWifiTest.Program::InitializeModules [IP: 000f] ####
    #### GadgeteerWifiTest.Program::Main [IP: 0010] ####
    #### Exception GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.WiFi+WiFiException - 0x00000000 (1) ####
    #### Message: 
    #### GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.WiFi::Enable [IP: 0058] ####
    #### Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21::.ctor [IP: 0065] ####
A first chance exception of type 'GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.WiFi.WiFiException' occurred in GHIElectronics.NETMF.Net.dll
    #### Exception System.ApplicationException - 0x00000000 (1) ####
    #### Message: Unable to enable WiFi module.
    #### Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21::.ctor [IP: 00c4] ####
A first chance exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' occurred in GTM.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21.dll
An unhandled exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' occurred in GTM.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21.dll

Additional information: Unable to enable WiFi module.

And the breakpoint takes me to this line in the generated code:

wifi = new GTM.GHIElectronics.WiFi_RS21(9);

Any advice toward solving this before sending back would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Double check the cable and the socket the wifi rs21 module is attached to. Try the other support sockets.
WiFi withdraws a lot of power, connect to powered hum or use external power about 1Amp

latest GHI gadgeteer sdk loaded?

Can I connect both a USB cable and external power supply to the USBClientDP at the same time without issue?

Thanks

yes, the DP can handle some pretty high power, but best to not go over 12V/2A or so. 6-9V, 1A is optimal.

I tried couple of different things, notably I removed the display module and instead just connected multicolour LED module for status.

Even when powered with an external supply, the wifi module does not initialize.

I updated to a new SDK on January 6th…

I guess maybe this one is a dud :frowning: Now I have to check all the other modules I got, and make sure they are all ok…

So I tested all the modules I got in my order from Seeed, seems like the Wifi module is the only one that doesn’t work.

No matter what I always seem to get the Unable to enable module. exception.

As this is a GHI module is it possible to ship it back there instead of all the way to Hong Kong to Seeed?

Please let me know!

Everything is tested before it ships but either way please contact the distributor.

I’m sure it is Gus. Be that as it may, the new module I just got with my Seeed order, does not seem to work, even after following all suggestions provided in this thread, and also going back through every wifi module related post on this board (which has only led me to further understand the exception as a “WiFi.WiFiException.ErrorCode.HardwareCommunicationFailure”).

I’m in the process of contacting Seeed. Thanks.

Rossman,

There is a green LED on the wifi module. Does it go on when you try to initialize?

Hi Joe,

No, no lights come on, on the module. I didn’t even know there was supposed to be one to look out for :frowning:

Thanks

Just to double check, did you try a different gadgeteer cable?

Yup, I’ve tried several cables, that I know work with other modules.

I’ve tried both socket 6 & 9 - also put the Seeed OLED in 6 & 9, works good, so sockets are fine…

I have the latest SDK (Jan 6th). When installed it updated my Spider firmware to 4.1.8.0 I believe.

I’ve tried powering from USB and also externally.

I got like 20 modules in a shipment from Seeed and every one works (even the Cellular one with the beta drivers!) except this wifi module (one of the ones I really wanted so I can put away the ethernet cable).

Cheers

:slight_smile: That’s good enough to make the judgment.

Thanks Joe, appreciate it.

I am sure I can work it out with Seeed.

Cheers

Hey Joe,

I heard back from Seeed, they referred the issue to Gus, but Gus does not respond or follow up.

Can you please look into this?

Thanks

I actually responded within minutes, to seeed directly.

There is a system that all distributors must follow or we would lose track of things.

Hello,
I was wondering whether this problem has been resolved. I have got several wifi modules that show exactly the same problem (same exception, no green LED).

Thanks.

What are you using for power?

goldsmiths_irs

Do you mean that none worked? It might take several seconds to light up or it might be updating the firmware that takes couple minutes. What are the debugging messages saying?