WiFi does not start with external power supply

Hi,
I installed the new SDK. The thing is that i want to have a WiFi device with a power supply. But when i plug in the supply FezCobra starts - but the WiFi does not ! I tried it with a boost step-up regulator ( will try it again when the bats are charged). Anyway the FEZ started - WiFi did not :/, The same unfortunately happesns when i plug power supply to the 6V in from a power charger (supply ) with 12 V and 1000mA max . Am i doing something wrong ? Is there a bug or something ?

What do you mean by it doesn’t start?

Sorry, i Was not specific enough. It means the LED on it is off, The WiFi net is not avaialble - it is not working. Tried it with a 7,2 V battery , the power supply i mentioned, but with the 5 V USB it works :/.

What LED that is not going on?the wifi led?

Yup - The WiFi Led ( the green one ) is not glowing. The FEZ Supply LED and on Board LAN leds are glowing.

The LED on the wifi module glows only if it was initialized. it is not a power indicator led. Connect MFDeploy and check the debugging messages. probably your application is raising an exception.

But an Exception always when it is connected by battery - never when via USB ( The same program running)? OK ill do that but what exactly you mean by MFDEPLOY ? I will start reading on it ASAP but some quick link will be apreciated :P.

What to do ? How to connect to FEZ with MFDEPLOY ? I want to sustain its Power (only external) and the main concern is the not running WiFI (or not initialized) - how to check the eventuall exceptions and maintain this scenario ?

All available information is here:
[url]http://tinyclr.com/support/[/url]
MFDeploy is an essential tool used with NETMF device. You need to learn how to use it.

But before investigate this further,
when you power the system using the usb cable, does your application work?
if you connect a 6V 1Amp DC adapter does it work?
Do you have connected to system other than the wifi module?

I recall using the power supply for testing , also the battery pack ( but had some problems with voltage drop in some actions so i decided to split the batterise into supply for FEZ and the other device). I alos remember how a couple of days ago it worked, then like i could not connect to the WiFi, and debuged it via USB. I dont have a 6V 1000 mA adapter on hand but i do have the 12 V one (although the regulators get a little hot cause of the voltage drop). Any suggestions ?

EDIT: Mainly i used the Wifi, but besides using only the FEZ i have not used any other systems.

Through witch interface should i connect the MFDeploy ?

USB

Thething is i need to debug it without giving it the supply from the USB. This does happen only if the supply is not from The USB ! I tried even regulated 5V (in/.Out), but ill try to hook it up to the EXT supply, and then start the debugging through USB (hopefully i can do that :slight_smile: )

Ok guys - im onto something - and another puzzle for you …

I have a simple blink led + Piezo sound .
Works from the 6-12 external supply.

I have the WiFi App.
It works on USB.
Does not work on the External.

But…

When i put in the external, then try to debug it… The WiFi does not start …
Reset - and magically it starts …
Then take the USB plug out … up and running - I can connect and do whatever i please …

Any ideas ? Im tearing my hair (not much left now :/) and try to debug this situation somehow…

OK after checking a little these are my conclusions:

The device cannot be accesed when trying to debug it after connecting it to the the DC Supply (Before doing so works ).

Now THE MAIN CONCLUSION,

// Utility.Piezo(4000, 500);
             // Thread.Sleep(500);
              try //try to enable the module
              {
                  WiFi.Enable(WiFi.HardwareModule.RS9110_N_11_21_1_Compatible, SPI.SPI_module.SPI2, (Cpu.Pin)2, (Cpu.Pin)26, (Cpu.Pin)3);//FEZ Cobra - enable the module                                      
                  //Utility.Piezo(4000, 500);
                //  Thread.Sleep(1000);
              }
              catch (WiFi.WiFiException e) // catch the exception
              {
              // we all know where this is going :P
              }
              {

This code works when connected to the PC VIA USB , but fails on external power supply.
In both cases you can hear the first beep though - WiFi fails to initialize just on external Supply!

BUT…

Utility.Piezo(4000, 500);
              Thread.Sleep(500);
              try //try to enable the module
              {
                  WiFi.Enable(WiFi.HardwareModule.RS9110_N_11_21_1_Compatible, SPI.SPI_module.SPI2, (Cpu.Pin)2, (Cpu.Pin)26, (Cpu.Pin)3);//FEZ Cobra - enable the module                                      
                  Utility.Piezo(4000, 500);
                  Thread.Sleep(1000);
              }
              catch (WiFi.WiFiException e) // catch the exception
              {
              // we all know where this is going :P
              }
              {

This code works on BOTH !!!
You can hear the sweet second beep announcing that the WiFi started - an error guys ? or is some Sleep of the thread necessary ? Please anwser my questions.

Why don’t you start a new clean project and use the exact same example code provide in the librariy documentation?

Well … mainly the begining o my Code has just some declarations of static variables and objects , then is starts like i shown you , but i will try The library demo and let you know … anyways for others who have this absurd problem … you just have to add a little delay … Dont know why - big load at start ? Don’t know …

Hi Oki and Joe,

Oki, I’ve got the same issue here… Unless i have my USB cable plugged in my FEZ Cobra 1.3, my Wifi RedPine RS9110-N-11-21-01 module won’t start (with GHI Adhoc demo code in the SDK) .

6V External power only = demo Wifi program won’t start
5V from VBUS on miniUSB (X5 connector) = demo Wifi program starts and works fine.

I have a 6Vdc, 1AMP power supply on the external input, so this is not an issue of the power supply being not strong enough.

Jean-Francois

@ JF Gauthier

I have not read this entire post, but If anything you are using needs 5vdc, you wont get that using a 6v DC power supply as an input source. There is a series diode on the DC jack, and then you have the dropout of the 5v regulator. with all that you wind up with only 4.6vdc with a 6v input power source.

[quote]Oki, I’ve got the same issue here… Unless i have my USB cable plugged in my FEZ Cobra 1.3, my Wifi RedPine RS9110-N-11-21-01 module won’t start (with GHI Adhoc demo code in the SDK) .

6V External power only = demo Wifi program won’t start
5V from VBUS on miniUSB (X5 connector) = demo Wifi program starts and works fine.[/quote]

Check the 3.3 volt source using scope, Is it stable 3.3V?
When you said you tested to power it from USB, do you mean it works when you are debugging? or it works whenever you just power it from USB?
Add a 5Sec delay at the very beginning of the main(). Does it make a different?
Post the code that you tested with.