Wifi Access point

Is it possible to get a G120 with RS9110 act as access point?

Andriod phones can only connect to access points, so to create a webserver with NETMF that phones/computers can connect to I need access point support.

Not access point but ad hoc is in planning. Not sure access point is possible on any module but I am sure the team will look into all options.

I have tested a beta version for roving networks RN-171 module which can act as access point. But it would be great if GHI could implement this feature so I could run a cheaper module.

We got some promises from RedPine Signals to add this feature in future firmwares of this module. But for now you need to use the Add-Hoc feature, there are no other options.

Or you need to have an access point that switches between the phone and the Redpine module.

Does your pc have wifi? Maybe you can use your pc as access point.

I don’t think that a PC’s wifi can be configured as an access point either. I am not sure if there is any application that can do that.

Joe, sure there is. One way to do it is to load pfSense into a VM and tie a wifi card to it. Asks little to no configuration

I created a HTML webserver in USBizi that I need to be able to connect both from a PC/MAC or Android.

With RN-171 it works because I can set it to act as an AP.

So if it will be supported by GHI premium lib then I an no longer forced to use the RN-171.

Interesting. Thanks for the info

[quote]So if it will be supported by GHI premium lib then I an no longer forced to use the RN-171.
[/quote]

If you are using USBizi. then go ahead and your the RN-171. Redpine’s module is supported only on systems with large Ram like EMX or ChipworkX

You’re welcome

And without a vm: MyPublicWiFi - Virtual Access Point, Turn your PC into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Here are some more: http://alternativeto.net/software/virtual-access-point/

If you are using USBizi. then go ahead and your the RN-171. Redpine’s module is supported only on systems with large Ram like EMX or ChipworkX
[/quote]

I am about to change the USBizi for the G120 in our Product, thats why I am asking.

If the wifi module you are using is simply a serial bridge (not PPP, not real socket connection) then it will run on USBizi or G120 exactly the same way. It is really just a serial port.

It’s a module with full stack and socket. I was hoping to replace it with a simple serial wifi bridge now when I got more power from the G120 and run G120 in AP mode.

I got info from RedPine that “RS9110-N-11-02” and “RS-WC-201” can act as access points.

The “RS-WC-201” lookes nice and it’s based on the RS9110.

Will GHI add WiFi.StartApHost Method to support these modules?