Main Site Documentation

Why is the FEZ Domino more expensive then the FEZ Panda II?

Maybe thats a silly question, but if I take a look at the comparison at the GHI Website I can only recognize that the FEZ Domino can be used directly as USB Host.
There must be another reason for the higher price.
The Panda II has more IOs, the same processor, the same memory, one more UART, one more CAN interface.

The processors are not the same. Also, the Panda II is a fairly new board, so benefits from the inevitable “Moores Law” of component cost versus performance.

Similar processor, not same one. Plus panda does support USB host too :slight_smile:

Price difference has many internal reasons starting with demand. The more we sell the lower the cost.

I just ordered a Rhino from GHI , personally its a great deal exact same thing as a DOmino and has most of the IO exposed! ! and i dont use shields so i am not worried about that . I cant wait till it gets here! whats great is they are local (U.S) so it wont take long! Im thinking of doing something with multi uM’s like an atmega 328p-Au along with an USBizi and probably an STM32 but i am trying to figure out what type of project could require all that horse power, i think im just bored.

…cant an STM32 also run .NETMF? hmm

Almost anything can run NETMF! It is a matter of the amount of work involved.

From the 4.2 release notes:

I personaly love the little Domino board. It was the first GHI netmf board I bought one year ago, and my prefered for testing software, and best little board to develop USB applications (host + client onboard). I loved it so much, that I now own multiple Fez minis, panda, panda II, rhino boards ! The SD slot is more robust that the one on panda II (you have to modify a bit the board to make it stable when inserting an sd card while the board runs, it is a little underdecoupled). The pandaII has many more I/Os, but is a little bigger, and not all applications need so many. So the pandaII is a great deal, but depending on your needs, the Domino is still a great choice !

Have Fun :smiley: !

Also, not only has there been an STM32 port contributed to the NETMF codebase, we know from Gus that GHI has done a Cortex M3 port, at least a preliminary one.

That is the hard part.

Hard part done!.

I bought a Maple, from LeafLabs , and i have not touched it after the first day of getting it, i do understand how they could release such an unfinished product, so i figure i wipe the chip and try to get NETMF on it, but its easier said then done, i will look into it though, thanks.

STM32F205xx available in LQFP-64 for $11.50 in ones.

Core Processor ARM® Cortex-M3™
Speed 120MHz
Number of I /O 51
Program Memory Size 512KB (512K x 8)
RAM Size 132K x 8

This is the device we want to see next from GHI! There’s also larger versions with up to 1MB flash and up to 176 pins. This thing is a monster, and is available cheaper than the equivalent NXP parts (where there even ARE equvalents). Things like 12bit ADC, and 2x DAC, SDIO, on-chip oscillators and on-chip ethernet PHY, and on-chip parallel camera interface set this apart from the NXP chips.

This thing could REALLY use that special brand of GHI love!

I can’t answer what you said but I can tell you this, we have evaluated/looked-into every single cortex parts out there, from M0 to A9, including the one you pointed out…which is also sitting on my desk now :slight_smile:

We are always here to back you up so stay tuned :slight_smile:

…or you can come by our office and I will show some pretty amazing things that no one know about yet.

Trust me, if I wasn’t 1500 miles away, I would :slight_smile:

@ Gus, You could show us a video of your office so that we can see some of these amazing things.

Sure in future but now we have boxes and boxes everywhere trying to keep up with orders :o

@ kurtnelle You can see some of it here

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/21/4224/