Where can I find TinyBooter & TinyCLR 4.2.5.0?

Hello,

I have a project which I’ve been working on for last 4 years.
Recently I got three extra boards to create small series.
My original board was EMX running TinyBooter 4.2.5.0 & TinCLR 4.2.5.0.

So I need to update my new boards to exactly same version to avoid any
hardware problems. However I can’t find this particular version anymore.

And I do get a300000 error and version mistmatch if I deploy/debug
project under different version (4.2.11.1).

So where can I find 4.2.5.0 or is there a way to clone the firmware from
one board to others ?

Thanks
M

4.2 firmware is available in earlier GHI SDKs. I can’t recall the exact one where you’ll find this version, I’ll poke around the support pages here to find a link for you. Here’s the SDK graveyard: https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdks

In the meantime, did you actually get EMX boards?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/1/netmf-and-gadgeteer-package-2013-r1 will be the best one you can use in the 4.2 family. The 4.3 and beyond SDKs also include the EMX but I expect they’ll have this build anyway. Failing that, you need to resurrect your own copy that you used to install things in the first place, if you have them

Hello Brett,

Yes, I did get the actual EMX boards (bought three them end of last year from GHI directly). Must be the very last ones left…

I did find the graveyard as you said and the version 4.2.9. It’s close enough, but it’s still not 4.2.5 and I still will get checksum
error on the device.

The 4.2.5 was either pre-installed on EMX back in 2012 or the guy who did the R&D installed it. But from where, I don’t know.
So maybe it’s a good question for GHI ? Did they ship EMX with 4.2.5 pre-installed and if not, did they have a package with 4.2.5 ?
I mean it should’ve come from somewhere after all!?

Thanks
M

1 Like

The SDK is just one of the older ones before GHI started cataloging them and storing a copy of them. Yes, you’re right, you need perfectly matched firmware to have your code work. Sorry, but the only way to do that is to use an old copy you saved, or a copy GHI have made available - which is that list. Normally people say “lock away your source and all the components you need to rebuild”. If you don’t have that - and that should include the Visual Studio version you need and the .Net Micro Framework SDK as well as the GHI SDK - then you’re stuck asking the community if someone else has that SDK set aside in their own graveyard/source control, or you’re going to need to move forward to the SDK you can now get…

@ SFR75 - Contact us directly and we may be able to help: Contact Us – GHI Electronics

Hello John,

Yes, thanks. I contacted your support yesterday by email. If you have the firmware, that would be fantastic!

M.

[em]Normally people say “lock away your source and all the components you need to rebuild”. If you don’t have that - and that should include the Visual Studio version you need and the .Net Micro Framework SDK as well as the GHI SDK - then you’re stuck asking the community if someone else has that SDK set aside in their own graveyard/source control, or you’re going to need to move forward to the SDK you can now get…
[/em]

Yes, that’s a good advice. Actually I did locked away all my source, but I never thought of firmware, since I never got it from the guy, who did R&D.
Oh well, I wait for an answer from GHI - hopefully they have it somewhere.
Or maybe some funky cloning tool, that can dump flash memory and upload it to other board ? )
At worse I can try to migrate my code…

Thanks for your help!

M

Well I can confirm now that

1. The boards were shipped with 4.2.5.0 pre-installed (according to engineer he never updated anything)

2. My code (RPL / FastFsDrivers) doesn’t correctly work with 4.2.9.0. Just tried that.

[quote=“SFR75”]
according to engineer he never updated anything[/quote]
I hope you realise the potential impact that could have had as well - the development could have been mismatched from day 1 to, which could have given dodgy results.

What exactly do you mean “doesn’t work correctly”, and what actions did you take ? I have faint recollections of RLP memory moving or needing recompilation that may be necessary.