What is going on at GHI? A LOT!

I think Gus/GHI has the right to navigate this very fluctuating market in the way they feel makes most sense - without any of us necessarily making too much sense out of it. Moving premises is unfortunately one of the things you need to do when things change, or you learn how your team works best.

I see a dynamic company trying its best to adapt and satisfy as many needs as their time and money allows.

And I am sure looking forward to a “small series total pcb production service” - if that is what is indicated :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe even could be interesting for us in Europe, now i need to do the proto series manual “in house”, the A series we produce are in batches off 100 but still very expensive and if i want a competitive price i have to place a “on call” order for at least 1000 pc a year.

I give GHI credit for the new 4.3 SDK structure, I have been getting familiar with the beta and I think is a big improvement on previous versions. I am new so do not have the benefit of history.

Innovation is important for a company but also having a complete product. GHI has to maximise their resources in a way they believe is best for the business.

You can always count on godefroi for an honest opinion. I also share his point of view on this. GHI business practices seem to work well for the hobbiest market, which most active users of this site appear to be. However, god forbid you want to turn one of your hobby creations into a commerical product. You are going to find yourself in a world of hurt if its tied to any of GHI’s proprietary “premium” offerings.

They operate like they are suffering from ADHD, promising features and then taking years to deliver. Does the g120 have application protection yet?

This topic is going a bit “off topic” maybe but understand GHI is still a small company, to cover all requested functionality you need resources and a company as GHI has to make choices what is supported and what’s not (or not yet) to keep the company running.
I used to work for a small company where I had like 100’s request’s and issues and was only able to fix 10 of them in the expected time line… I also had to make choices there based on the economic value to the company of the requests.

If I were a small business owner, having to support dozens of products (Gadgeteer modules/boards/etc.) would seem like a big drain on resources. Just imagine the plethora of modules out there that will require some kind of (tech/customer) support over their lifetimes. Personally, I think GHI’s product mix is too broad. Perhaps cutting down on some SKUs might be a good thing, so GHI could focus on delivering certain solutions really well.

Personally I’d rather have a shorter list of really good stuff, instead of a longer list of half-baked stuff.

Especially when most of the Gadgeteer modules are simple rehashes (with added expensive socket!) of stuff that’s available cheaper elsewhere, or nearly for free direct from China.

Since everyone is ranting now :slight_smile: please please modify the websites to have better search capabilities. There has to be a better way to find the most up-to-date information and posts.

Just bumping this back up to see if there is any feedback on how the changes are going…

All going very well. We have been sharing more details to our insiders and public info will be out very soon

Ah that would explain why the regulars are not saying much. :slight_smile:

I guess I need to get more points… :whistle:

Thanks for answering.

@ GUS,

We all hope that talking about “other new technologies” than NETMF to play with, wont mean that the lake of communication from Microsoft on NETMF has finally prompted you to change your tune…snif !