What do you day dream about?

Heffo,

that sounds cool, but why not just “Fez Lion”

I originally thought Lion… But Leo (also meaning lion) fits a little better with Rhino and Domino

@ RobotFreak

I had a look at the netduino plus, I too thought it was a nice looking board, but then I saw the flash & ram sizes…

Without Ethernet: 128Kb Code, 60Kb Ram
With Ethernet: 48Kb Code, 28Kb Ram

My primary use for such a board would be ethernet based but with such small storage size left over after the networking support, it’s almost unusable for any reasonable task.

By the way, last year, we had USBizi with 30KB left of free memory which was very annoying. After loading some assemblies, we got out of memory fairly quickly. From my personal experience, you need at least 50K to write decent applications. The good news is that we were able to tweak a lot of things plus Microsoft did some tweaking on their end too and this is how we have about 62KB of free RAM.

…that was for RAM…FLASH is another story but you get the idea

@ Heffo in Netduino’s defense they are aware of it - they have about 16K of memory they will be freeing up “soon” plus they are currently using IwIP for the stack which isn’t the most efficient. The project to port uIP over will help immensely since its a much smaller stack.

Plus the ongoing optimizations will reduce the overall footprint.

It’s a valid point but it’s not the state they expect to be in for long. I was harassing them about it as soon as I saw the specs.

I appreciate the amount of work that goes into trying to fit so much stuff into such a small footprint (both flash & ram), it always amazes me that you can fit so much into that kind of space.

But as a measure to try and relieve some of the pressure from everyone, why not for the sake of an extra $5 on the price of the unit, stick a 16Mx4 100MHz SDRAM chip (which can be had for between $1.50 and $4, depending on qty and vendor) on there and benefit both the guys porting and maintaining the .NET MF and the end-user.

We have devices with SDRAM already

I know the cobra has sdram, but I was thinking more in between the cobra and rhino. A small amount of sdram to get you out of the kb memory size and fit into the $80-$120 range

Once you have sdram, there is no reason on why not having it all since memory is not limited but if the only reason is price then I see what you mean

My aim was to fill the gap between the $80 rhino and the $150 cobra. I was trying to come up with a device that was specced somewhere between the two. So you were not eating into the market of both existing devices.

I myself would love a device with sdram, ethernet and lots of io, but I don’t need lcd and usb host. For my apps they arent needed.