VS and Micro Framework not playing nice

Hello. I am new here. I am going to be using a FEZ (not sure which one yet) for a class. I have VS 2010 installed and working fine. I also installed the GHI and .NET packages and for some reason, my compiler can not find the .SPOT namespace references. I have tried putting the .NET path into my references list and importing manually with no luck. When I try to use the emulator anyway, I get an error in the properties menu (under the .NET tab) “Method not found System.Version System.Version.Parse(System.String)”. I have no idea why. I would like to start coding (been a while since I have used a Visual language). Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Did you install the NetMF SDK after installing VS2010?

When you started the new project, did you start with a FEZ project template?
Can you see the Microsoft.SPOT assembly in the list of references?
(have a look at Assemblies in the Beginners guide page 27…)

Hmm, i was assuming you had those assemblies in the project and were getting a runtime error. Now i’ve re-read it - you are getting the error from the compiler right?

Did you install BOTH .net packages the “.net framework 4” and the “micro.net framework” they are different items…

You need them both… .net is usually installed with VS2010

Cheers Ian

I installed the micro framework after the VS and I can see .NET installed in the package manager (for lack of a better term) list in the control panel. I am running a fresh copy of Windows 7 and VS and I thought .NET should have shipped with 7, and if not installed with VS. I installed the .NET micro framework 4 SDK. That is the only micro related file I could find on Microsoft’s site. I then installed the GHI files. There are two files in the references list. One is the Microsoft.SPOT file and the other is Microsoft.SPOT.NATIVE file. Both file exist, but I get that error message when I try to view their details (and I have tried pointing the reference list directly at them). On occasion I also get an error saying the components are not installed or not compiled until I change my references list to point at the directory with the Micro framework files and then I get the System,Version error.It makes no sense to me that I can point directly at the files and still get nothing unless the files are corrupt.

heh i almost hate to ask. Did you reboot?

Reboot did not help. I had rebooted before, but I thought I might as well try again. I got the names of the references it wants wrong. It is looking for Microsoft.SPOT.Native and mscorlib. They exist but VS can’t seem to understand that. I am in a Vbox on a Debian server BTW, not that that should make a difference.

I would go back and start from zero and check every step…

remove VS, remove NETMF, remove GHI SDK…

1. install VS C# and make sure it is running then close it
  2. install NETMF (not GHI SDK yet) and try to run the default “hello world” console application
  3. if all is good, add the GHI SDK

When I installed all this software I just opened the download section of this site Clicked on the visual 2010 link and installed it…Rebooted back on the site clicked on micro.net 4 link downloaded and installed…(didn’t reboot ) clicked on the GHI sdk downloaded and installed… then rebooted…

All on the same web page… (you’re sure you’ve got correct versions then)

Twice…once on XP and once on Vista

Cheers Ian

Took me until today to get time to play again. I reinstalled VS 2010 and the micro framework and no dice. I still get the version error. I am going to try an XP Vbox and see if I have more luck there.

[quote]I would go back and start from zero and check every step…

remove VS, remove NETMF, remove GHI SDK…

1. install VS C# and make sure it is running then close it
  2. install NETMF (not GHI SDK yet) and try to run the default “hello world” console application
  3. if all is good, add the GHI SDK
    [/quote]

You did do this this time around, yeah? And did it fail at 2?

1. We need some screenshots of the errors you are getting.
  2. Can you send/upload your visual studio solution folder (zip the whole folder of your project)?

Finally got VS to work correctly last night. I had a copy of the beta version, but was able to get the VS 2010 release candidate last night. That took care of the System.Version error. Now I can’t seem to get the GHI stuff to install properly. The GHI framework says it installs just fine, but I can’t find the samples nor do I get the templates for different boards when I create a new project.My friend (who had his machine working just fine) played for an hour last night installing and reinstalling stuff in different orders and nothing. I will try with a fresh copy later today, but somehow I doubt that is the problem. Thanks for the help so far.

I believe that the templates is not part of the beta. I can’t find them either.

Why not just use VS2010 Express instead of the VS2010 Beta/RC?

Guess I did have a bad copy of the GHI software as well. Reinstalling with a fresh copy took care of the problem. Not sure why. I am using VS 2010 instead of express beacue I get a free copy through my school. No reason not to if I can get a full copy. I also program in VB on occasion, so this way I only have to install one copy as well.Thanks for all the help.

I am glad it worked out for you!