Voltage/Current available to modules

I’m sure it’s in there somewhere, but I don’t recall seeing it in the spec. If we were to create a module of our own, how much voltage/current is available to it through the gadgeteer connections on the spider? Given the very small gauge of the wires, I assume it isn’t a complete passthrough…is it?

Assume an external supply, not USB powered.

Pete

You get 3.3v and 5v on each socket. As for current, you should only use these power sources to power electronic circuits, like an accelerometer chip for example.

If you need a module for motor control, like the one we will offer soon, you need to have additional power connector right on the module.

Thanks. This is to power a classic chip which needs pretty high voltage compared to today’s devices. Other logic on the board would need the 3.3/5.5v provided by the spider.

So, having an additional power inputs at the module level is generally ok to do when required (despite being a little cumbersome for the end user) if appropriate precautions are taken to make sure the voltage doesn’t get back upstream? The spec tends not to cover things like this, so figured I’d ask people actually building stuff :slight_smile:

The motor control example is a great one as, although this isn’t that scenario, the requirements are pretty much the same.

Pete

I’m not seeing the 3.3v in the socket when viewing the schematic. What am I missing?

Regards

We use VCC for 3.3V. Don’t ask why :slight_smile: