Visual Studio 2015 installation is painfully slow

I post about this already and I still can’t get it to install. After 48 hours I gave up and tried to uninstall. 12 hours later I am still trying.

Doing a search on the internet I have come across quite a large number of complaints from developers in the same boat. It would seem that this is an issue and so far Microsoft have not fixed it. It could be Windows 10 related.

If I check in task manager I can see 1 instance of Window ® installer running in the background processes list and up to 3 Windows ® installer (32 bit) and when it stalls, none of them show any disk activity. It’s been stuck on KB2829760 for hours now. I am tempted to kill the task to get it going again.

I just found a search that indicates that AVG may be the issue so I have disabled this and now the installation seems to be progressing properly again.

1 Like

Not always. Software like AVG slows down systems alot. I liked Symantec’s offerings but they don’t work on windows 10. Zhone Alarm firewall also used to slow down systems.

If I were you I would uninstall AVG. (I know it sounds controversial)

I would sing the praises of Eset. I found it to have the least noticeable impact.

2 Likes

Any time you have to turn off anti-virus to do anything legitimate, then it is the AV that is broken. Any guidance to turn off AV for installs is antiquated at best and dangerous at worst. Instead, search for a better AV program.

I use basic Kaspersky A/V (without the Internet option) and have come to really like it. More effective and thorough than the default Defender software, unobtrusive, low overhead, and have never had a conflict with legitimate operations. I do avoid the internet component because it seems to get in the way more often than it is helpful in blocking anything. Chrome and IE both have pretty effective anti-fraud/anti-phishing protection already.

Maybe not a particularly useful data point, but I don’t use AV (beyond Windows Defender), and VS2015 install time didn’t seem unreasonable to me (though I didn’t measure it).

Then we shall have to disagree on this, because turning off AV for an install means that your AV doesn’t have a one-time bypass option. I stand by my assertion that turning off system-wide AV protection during an install is just plain bad design in the AV program. Those days are long gone.

I use Norton Security

Works great.

No problem with vs.

Easy to temporarily disable for x amount of time. Or temporarily disable the smart firewall or allow exceptions.

Doesn’t bog down the system like Norton products did several yeas ago.

It’s smart enough to happily coexist with other tools like spybot search and destroy or malwarebytes.

I think it asked me if I wanted to allow vs to access the Internet during installation, which I did.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to disable the av itself to install anything… if I did that would seem antiquated and broken. But all my software is legit. So I don’t encounter that issue.

Longest post ever typed on my phone!

Just a tip in case you haven’t already installed Win10… Be sure and uninstall Norton before attempting a Win10 upgrade or else you may find yourself in a very unpleasant place. I upgraded my mother-in-laws laptop a couple weeks ago and figured this out the hard way. Personally, I find that Windows Defender is plenty good and generally recommend that people spend that money on a FEZ instead of AV :wink:

1 Like

Well, I think most would conclude that AV is broken; much better to have solid security practices from the start. Every time I hear someone say that they turn off UAC, I chuckle to myself.

1 Like