Visual Studio 2012 support added in latest SDK package

I had a similar problem yesterday. I had uninstalled the old 4.2 stuff from February and installed the new 4.3 & 4.2 stuff, but upgrading my spider firmware via mfdeploy bricked it. I erased and re-installed tinybooter via teraterm. Then re-updated the firmware via mfdeploy. But could not change the usb name.

So… when I got home, I fired up a different computer that had the 4-30-2013 bits that I downloaded before they made it to the main support site - I guess these were semi pre-release? Anyway, that machine had a spider updater on it. I don’t know why or how. I didn’t see this app on the first computer. But anyway, the spider updater fixed my problem.

Hi JeffVan,

I’ve been finding it difficult to collect a consistent set of tools. The Current 4.3/4.2 release does not have the update program. The opening message of this thread points to the “old updater applications” and also to a preview of a new application. I did try the “old” version and that didn’t work for me - don’t quite remember how, but it was a failure with a popup message. I’ve just grabbed the preview of the new one - hopefully that is the version that worked for you. I’ve added a screen shot with its “About” window showing the version. From the announcement post it looks to be about 2 months old. I’ll have a go with that. Thanks for the information.

Cheers
Bill

This is just like email - I forgot the screen shot - sorry

Wow - that worked. So, I now have a completely working system.

To summarise:

1. Spider starter kit
  2. Visual Studio 2012 (I’m using Ultimate)
  3. Followed the install instructions linked from message 1 of this thread
    ie: at https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/.net-micro-framework
    The first image below shows the two installer links I used
  4. Downloaded the pre-release version of GHI’s new configuration tool
    as linked in the first message of this thread
    ie: linked to http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10954
    which had a link to the tool: http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/GHI_NETMF_Configuration_Toolv003.exe
  5. Used the new configuration tool to update my mainboard
  6. Used the new configuration tool to change the USB name to Gadgeteer

Now it all works as it should. I should start from scratch on a new PC to verify the process, but most of the problem seems to have been in configuring the spider. I don’t have a clean spare to test, and anyway I have Gadgeteering to do now.

Thanks JeffVan and Gus for your input

Cheers
Bill (happy Gadgeteer)

We overlooked the fact that MFDeploy will not work! We will clean up our tool and post on support page this week. For now, the link above works.

FYI - unlike email, in this forum you can always edit your posts by clicking on the pencil icon in the top right of your post :wink:

Gus - will this also fix the SSL seed update problem for EMX devices?

My Spider is showing up as 4.1.9.

Is there a firmware update guide for the EMX?

I tried using TeraTerm, but the USB option is grayed out, despite the GHI loader showing it as there. I tried to use that to update my Spider, but it hung on Firmware2 file, and the T35 is just white now.

Thanks

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/54/firmware-update-emx is the EMX instructions.

Thanks - I tried that. The TeraTerm has the serial option grey out, even though the GHI app recognizes it.

Can you check what serial port is visible in Device Manager? Just checking that you do know you have to manually put it in loader mode for the serial port to appear - the GHI app forces this so you never have to do it… Then, once a serial port is available in Device Manager, opening Tera Term should see the port.

Ah yes … the dip switches. I’ve never updated my Spder. The documentation used show that …

I put the 3 in opposite position and I get device unknown, however I can’t update it.

I used this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\USB Drivers\GHI_Bootloader_Interface

with GHI_Bootloader_Interface inf and cat files.

Yes I have.

I was able to update my CerbBee ok. But I continue to have Win8 and USB3 issues. I may have to spend some money and get a USB hub. It’s a bit frustrating as it all should be plug-n-play and worked fine on my previous (now not working) laptop.

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations on a USB hub that is known to work well?

After I install the SDK, I can’t find the Seeed’s driver in the VS ToolBox.
I am VS2010.
where can I find the Seeed’s driver?

Thanks

4.2 project? Do you see our drivers?

YES 4.2. All GHI’s drivers shows well.

was the SDK option selected when you installed the SDK? Also, try to go inside the SDK package files and tun the seeed installer directly.

After several attempts at removing and reloading all SDKs, I cannot get past the following exception that gets thrown when Program.Mainboard is initialized:

[ul]I am using Visual Studio 2012 (with sp 2)

I have all of the correct SDKs (see image)

I have the simplest setup (main board with usb module) (see image)

I have updated the firmware of the Spyder using GHI_NETMF_Configuration_Toolv003.exe

I made sure my VS project is using .NET Micro Framework 4.2 [/ul]

namespace GadgeteerApp1 {
    using Gadgeteer;
    using GTM = Gadgeteer.Modules;

public partial class Program : Gadgeteer.Program {

private Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.UsbClientDP usbClientDP;

public static void Main() {
            // Important to initialize the Mainboard first
            Program.Mainboard = new GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider_II();
            Program p = new Program();
            p.InitializeModules();
            p.ProgramStarted();
            // Starts Dispatcher
            p.Run();
        }

private void InitializeModules() {
            this.usbClientDP = new GTM.GHIElectronics.UsbClientDP(1);
        }
    }
}

I don’t know what to try next to get this very simple set up running. Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Thank you

Do you really have Spider II main board?