Visual Studio 2012 support added in latest SDK package

Our latest SDK package now supports Microsoft’s Visual Studio (VS) 2012. Developers can choose between the express version (free) or the professional version. Since VS2012 only runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8, we will continue to support our SDK package on VS2010 into the near future.

For a list of changes, additions and known issues, visit our NETMF 4.2 Developer page.

Click here for installation steps.
IMPORTANT: Windows 8 will not let you install until you click “More info” and then click “Run anyway” button. See attached images please.

Note about 4.3 Firmware

This SDK is still a 4.2 firmware but the new .NET MF 4.3 (RTM) accepts devices using 4.2 firmware. Remember to change the target framework to .NET Micro Framework 4.2 in the project properties. As for 4.3 firmware, we will hold off a while for a few reasons. First, it doesn’t add any major functionality over .NET MF 4.2 (RTM QFE2). Second, once we switch to 4.3 firmware, you will no longer be able to use Windows XP or Vista. Third, while the current SDK is nearly perfect, we’d like to spend a little time making it even better. This information can also be found on the NETMF 4.3 Developer page.

As for the firmware updater applications, they were removed from the SDK. Instead, we will be improving on our new configuration and update tool. We previewed the application before at http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10954

The old updater applications are found at http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/GHI%20NETMF%20Firmware%20Updaters.zip

Tip: This SDK is not the same one posted few days ago on the beta forum. Couple small updates were added.

1 Like

Josh,

I just updated my Cerb and the Hydra and all went fine.

One point I noticed, the release notes mention that the updater programs are on the web site but I did not see an obvious link to them. Did I miss something?

@ taylorza - Good pint. We will edit the above post tomorrow with the following text.

As for the firmware updater applications, they were removed from the SDK. Instead, we will be improving on our new configuration and update tool. We previewed the application before at http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=10954

For now, the old updater applications are found at http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/GHI%20NETMF%20Firmware%20Updaters.zip

EDIT: Link to applications has been added.

Hi just updated the device firmware and sdk to 4.2.10.1 but the deployment from vs doesn’t work. now vs 2010 and vs2012 tell me.

Error 1 Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer

This is a log from the deployment tool

Pinging…
Program Started
TinyCLR
CreaDeviceInfo:
ted EE.
Started Hardware.
Create TS.
Loading start at a0e00000, end a0e1383c
Assembly: mscorlib (4.2.0.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (4.2.0.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11 (4.2.0.0) Assembly: System.Security (4.2.0.0) Loading Deployment Assemblies.
Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GHI.Premium.IO (4.2.10.0) Attac HAL build info: 4.2.0.0, Microsoft Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rig
hing deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GHI.Premium.USBHost (4.2.10.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GHI.Premium.System (4.2.10.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.Display_T35 (1.1.3.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Touch (4.2.0.0) OEM Product codes (vendor, model, SKU): 255, 0, 65535
Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: System.Http (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: System (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Gadgeteer (2.42.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.Button (1.1.2.0) Serial Numbers (module, system):
Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: System.IO (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Test (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: System.Net.Security (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Net (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GHI.Premium.Hardware (4.2.10.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (4.2.0.1) Attaching deployed file.
Ass FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
embly: GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider (1.1.2.0) Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.Camera (1.1.2.0) Resolving.
GC: 1msec 34428 bytes used, 7305240 bytes available
Type 0F (STRING ): 24 bytes
Type 15 (FREEBLOCK ): 7305240 bytes
Type 17 (ASSEMBLY ): 34332 bytes
Type 34 (APPDOMAIN_HEAD ): 72 bytes
GC: performing heap compaction…
Ready.
Using mainboard GHI Electronics FEZSpider version 1.0
Program Started
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Solution Build Info: 4.2.10.1, Copyright (C) GHI Electronics, LLC
AppDomains:
default, id=1
Assemblies:
mscorlib,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Native,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11,4.2.0.0
System.Security,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.IO,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort,4.2.0.0
GHI.Premium.IO,4.2.10.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics,4.2.0.0
GHI.Premium.USBHost,4.2.10.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security,4.2.0.0
GHI.Premium.System,4.2.10.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.Display_T35,1.1.3.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Touch,4.2.0.0
System.Http,4.2.0.0
System,4.2.0.0
Gadgeteer,2.42.0.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.Button,1.1.2.0
Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore,4.2.0.0
System.IO,4.2.0.0
Test,1.0.0.0
System.Net.Security,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Net,4.2.0.0
GHI.Premium.Hardware,4.2.10.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM,4.2.0.1
GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider,1.1.2.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.Camera,1.1.2.0
Pinging… TinyCLR

Since I like to present that thing tomorrow. it would be nice to have your support.

What does Device Manager show? What options do you have selected in MFDeploy - specifically what “device” connection, serial or USB, and what is the device name shown? Have you gone in and checked your project properties point to the correct device (the name may no longer be “Gadgeteer”).

@ patric - can you please see this and let us know what you find? http://ghielectronics.com/docs/165/netmf-and-gadgeteer-troubleshooting

I updated to the latest May 1 release, and then updated my Cobra 1.

DeviceInfo:
HAL build info: 4.2.0.0, Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
OEM Product codes (vendor, model, SKU): 255, 0, 65535
Serial Numbers (module, system):
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Solution Build Info: 4.2.10.1, Copyright © GHI Electronics, LLC
AppDomains:
default, id=1
Assemblies:
mscorlib,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Native,4.2.0.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11,4.2.0.0
System.Security,4.2.0.0

When I try to Update the SSL Seed, I get this in the output window of MFDeploy:

Updating SSL seed…
Update Complete!

But I get this error popup:

@ patric - Did you reboot your machine after the install? When I get the message ‘Error 1 Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Gadgeteer’ I normally can only recover after rebooting my machine, it is as if something goes wrong with the USB Driver.

@ taylorza:
Thanks, I tried rebooting, but that didn’t help.
Also, everything else works via the USB interface to the board.

@ andre.m:
Thanks, I tried using SSL and am getting this error, so I think the SSL seed update didn’t work:

#### Exception System.NotSupportedException - CLR_E_NOT_SUPPORTED (5) ####
#### Message: 
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.SslNative::SecureClientInit [IP: 0000] ####
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.SslStream::Authenticate [IP: 0051] ####
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.SslStream::AuthenticateAsClient [IP: 000c] ####
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.SslStream::AuthenticateAsClient [IP: 0009] ####

Yes, I thought this might be the issue. I don’t want to install the 4.2 SDK, because it is my understanding that the two SDKs cannot co-exist on the same machine.

@ GHI - please make the older MFDeploy apps available as a separate download… or better yet add the seed update capability to your new deployment tool.

Thanks.

Hello Guys,
after the update I can no longer compile 4.1 projects with VS2010 nor with VS2012

I followed the steps outlined in the installation:

1. uninstalled everything

2. Installed the NETMF 4.3 RTM from codeplex.

3. installed the latest April 30th package from GHI
    4.installed the Optional 4.1 SDK From GHI.

4. Launched VS2010 chose gadgeteer 4.1 project click OK and received the following error: see attached.

5. closed VS2010 and Started VS2012.

6. Started a New Gadgeteer 4.1 Project, left the spider as the chosen board, this time it showed up then I hit compile, and got the following error:

The type or namespace name 'GHIElectronics' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

When I checked the references, It seems that the Spider is no longer listed there nor any of the new Gadgeteer boards.

How can we get this fixed?

Thanks

@ Jay Jay - I believe you asked this same question in a different thread few week back :slight_smile:

We have not supported gadgeteer 4.1 in a long time, months.

Only USBizi and ChipworkX users should use 4.1 and there is no gadgeteer on these devices.

Or fix the GHI tool and forget about MFDeploy all together :slight_smile: Which is what we are working on as we speak.

@ Gus - Thanks. Hopefully this will solve the problem I’m having updating the SSL seed.

@ Gus -
Ok I must have grown old ;(… because I can’t remember. Let’s hope I don’t ask the same question in few month again… :frowning:
Thanks for reminding me… :slight_smile:
jay

No problem, ask again and we will be here ready to answer :slight_smile: That is what we are here for.

Hi,

I received my Spider starter kit on Tuesday and have spent each evening since then trying to make it run a sample program. I started with version 4.2 (although I"m not

sure if I had a consistent collection of software). Attempts to use your updating software consistently failed to detect the hardware - but it was useful in that it

alerted me to the need to set switches on the spider mainboard, which to the best of my knowledge isn’t mentioned anywhere else in the documentation. Using the

instructions at http://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/54/firmware-update-emx I updated the firmware 0 to 4.2.9 and with some guesses at switch settings and having set the

USB name to Gadgeteer tried to deploy a program from VS2010. I never did get it to see the spider. Instead, having seen this post I decided to uninstall everything

and try again, but with version 4.3 and VS2012. After some work and experimenting with switch settings, VS2012 was able to see the device and attempted a deployment.

That failed on a firmware version error, but progress made. So - to update the firmware - I found the update program from your answer earlier in this thread, but

again couldn’t make it see the device. After much messing about I found that the 4.3 deploy tool could find the device - not sure what was the issue, but I suspect

that a restart of the computer was a crucial step - didn’t repeat all my earlier steps, so your updater may have been workable after that?? Anyway, have firmware at

4.2.10, can ping device, have set USB name to Gadgeteer, have switches set to TinyBooter setting and at last VS2012 can see my spider again - ready to attempt

deployment!!! The result was: no version error, but unfortunately no deployment either. The attempt just stops. I’ve copied the VS2012 output window text - see

below. I’ve also included a photograph of my spider screen showing some version info. I’m out of ideas. Help required please.

Cheers
Bill

-----------------------------VS2012 Output window report--------------------------------------
Looking for a device on transport ‘USB’
Starting device deployment…
Iteration 0
Opening port \?\USB#VID_1B9F&PID_0102#6&3358ffa4&0&3#{09343630-a794-10ef-334f-82ea332c49f3}\Operations
Attaching debugger engine…
… debugger engine attached!
Querying device assemblies…
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.IO.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Core\Assemblies.NET Micro Framework 4.2\le\gadgeteer.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\mscorlib.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\Display_T35\NETMF 4.2\le\gtm.ghielectronics.display_t35.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Touch.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\System.Http.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\System.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\System.Net.Security.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\System.IO.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\GadgeteerApp3\GadgeteerApp3\bin\Debug\le\GadgeteerApp3.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Native.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghi.premium.io.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghi.premium.hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\Assemblies\le\ghi.premium.system.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Mainboards\FEZSpider\NETMF 4.2\le\ghielectronics.gadgeteer.fezspider.pe to deployment

bundle
Attempting deployment…
Deployment to the device was not successful.

@ coms0108 - no worries, we are here to help :slight_smile: Can you start with this and tell us where you have problems? http://ghielectronics.com/docs/165/netmf-and-gadgeteer-troubleshooting

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the response.

I’ve looked through the troubleshooting page again. It said that I shouldn’t see the Tinybooter info on screen when I rebooted - instead there should be emx. I guess that I was seeing Tinybooter because I had the switches in TinyBooter position - that was the only way that I could get VS2012 to even see the device when attempting to deploy. Anyway, I reset the switches to default positon (all toggles up when looking at the board with the reset button on the top side). I had tried this before, but not looked too closely at the behaviour. Trying again, I noticed that a message briefly (< 1 sec) flashed on the screen - watching closely I decided it started with emx… and included the right version (4.2.10) number. The screen then went blank for a second or two, and the cycle repeated - showing the emx message. Given that your troubleshooter page warns about running on USB power from a computer it looked as though this meant a power problem. So, I got a powered USB hub and connected through that. Now when I press reset, the screen flashes a message, it vanishes leaving a horizontal line near the top of the screen, then the brightness 'bloom’s and finally sits there with the screen display on brightly - nothing further happens - there is no USB device visible on the PC; I can’t ping the device.

I think that is all I can find from the troubleshooting page - except reinstalling firmware,
which is the link I have followed and used before - I think the firmware is ok now - seems to show the correct versions.

Cheers
Bill

Hi Gus,

Some success at last. I decide that power problems might have prevented my previous firmware update from completing properly. I repeated the firmware update with no improvement, then repeated the whole update once more - using TeraTerm to erase the spider’s memory and updating firmware again. It was necessary to restart the Deploy program (which had done the firmware install) in order to have it work properly, but then ping returned TinyClr - progress. This time the spider was able to reboot into EMX with version 4.2.10.1 and stay there looking stable.

A new problem though - Deploy now refuses to change the USB friendly name. I get the error “Unable to erase configuration sector memory”. Tried with different switch settings. No result. Interestingly VS2012 did deploy once before going back to complaining that it couldn’t find USB:Gadgeteer.

A solution: I found a line in the .csproj file that defined Gadgeteer as the deploy name. Changing it thus:

<DeployDevice>EMX_EMX</DeployDevice>

finally worked. I can now deploy a project and get a line into the debug window.

It would be nice to know how to alter the USB friendly name though.

Cheers
Bill