Visual Design Studio [Initial Release]

It’s all done but needs documenting. I’ve got a 14hr day today so I won’t be putting any time on it until atleast tomorrow.

Visual Design Studio 1.0.0.0 installer is now available for download!

http://www.skewworks.com/vds

Full support for Clix & Tinkr with continued support for Glide. We still need to update the GUI for that one Glide control but other than that it should be all ready for you.

Clix & Tinkr will be updated shortly with VDS support (they’re done, I just need to update the installs, website, etc).

Awesome. I’m firing it up now so will let you know how it all goes. :slight_smile:

I know you worked hard on this, but a few things. (Glide use) :slight_smile:

1. When you create window you don’t see any bounding box or know what size it is as the background colour is the same as the editor window. I had to change the window colour to be able to see it.
    Closing it them opening the other is ok.

2. When you drag the component size to make bigger or smaller, the properties window does not update unless you click off it and back onto the component.

3. There is no UP option for the progress bar. I use them as vertical indicators!

4. Still no import option? For now, can I import a form by simply locating it in the project folder?

5. If you have a form open and then open another that uses some same names, you get an exception about already have a label by that name.

6. If I import an existing form, the TextVerticalAlign is imported incorrectly for Middle. It gets set to Far in the editor.

7. Text size doesn’t match up with what is on the LCD. It is a little too large.

8. For some forms, White text does not render. You have to select it, then set the colour to white again and then it appears in the editor window.

This all I have spotted so far.

Doh that’s quite a list. :wink:

For the bounding box it’s a focus thing; containers don’t seem to get focus properly. A few of the others I thought I already had corrected, but I’ll get them addressed.

I’m running Clix and would like to test out VDS. But I’m unsure how to load the VDS .bin file into my netmf program and run it in the debugger. Am I not pointing to the .bin file correctly? My code is

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;

using Skewworks.NETMF;
using Skewworks.NETMF.Controls;
using Skewworks.VDS.Clix;

namespace HM_G120_Clix
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            // Initialize Clix in normal mode
            // This allows for native touch collection
            Core.Initialize(TouchCollection.NativeSingleTouch);

// Load from file
           Core.ActiveContainer = Design.LoadForm("C:\\Users\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2010\\Projects\\HM_G120_Clix\\HM_G120_Clix\\Resources\\ClixForm.bin"); 

Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);
        }

}
}

You can’t load from your local file system while emulating. You need to include it as a resource and then write to the emulated file system.

Example:

public static void Main()
        {
            // Initialize Core
            Core.Initialize(TouchCollection.NativeSingleTouch, Resources.GetBitmap(Resources.BitmapResources.StartupLogo));

VolumeInfo[] vi = VolumeInfo.GetVolumes();
            for (int i = 0; i < vi.Length; i++)
            {
                if (!vi[i].IsFormatted)
                    vi[i].Format(0);
            }

if (File.Exists("\\ROOT\\test.bin"))
                File.Delete("\\ROOT\\test.bin");

byte[] b = Resources.GetBytes(Resources.BinaryResources.TinkrForm);
            FileStream fs = new FileStream("\\ROOT\\test.bin", FileMode.CreateNew, FileAccess.Write);
            fs.Write(b, 0, b.Length);
            fs.Close();
            fs.Dispose();

Core.ActiveContainer = Design.LoadForm("\\ROOT\\test.bin");

}

Almost works…

The debugger comes up and my startup logo is displayed. Everything is fine until you hit Design.LoadForm. The output is:

GC: performing heap compaction…
#### Exception System.OutOfMemoryException - CLR_E_OUT_OF_MEMORY (1) ####
#### Message:
#### Skewworks.VDS.Clix.Design::ReadString [IP: 0009] ####
#### Skewworks.VDS.Clix.Design::LoadForm [IP: 0012] ####
#### Skewworks.VDS.Clix.Design::LoadForm [IP: 0052] ####
#### HM_G120_Clix.Program::Main [IP: 007e] ####

Images associated?

The VDS .bin file only contains a label. I also tried running it with and without the startup logo.

Can you send the associated project files for me to look into?

You can upload files on the Skewworks forum.

I have uploaded the project files to the Skewworks forum. Have you had a chance to view them?

Yes, I’m still trying to find the cause. It’s either in the compiler or the loading method. But I can say for certain that on the device side it’s attempting to allocate significantly more space than the project requires.

Just curious to see if there has been any update to the software to fix some of the bugs?

I realise you are most likely very busy. I am just keen to have an editor that does not require an internet connection to create Glide screens. :slight_smile:

Cheers
Dave…

There are several waiting to go out. I need a few hundred more hours in the day, but it is coming. :slight_smile:

anyway to be able to use the bin file as a included resource like fonts instead of sd card?

Any update on this?

The reason I ask is that I am going to be travelling (10th Aug) to a location with no internet and I would like to be able to edit Glide windows whilst I am away and the only option I have is manual (painful). :slight_smile:

A Tinkr bundled update went out a couple of weeks ago. A regular update will be out soon(ish). :slight_smile:

how do i download the update of tinker2?
i have 2.2

2.3 was sort of a secret release. We always upload it to the site for beta testers before sending out the mass email…there were still a couple of small issues so 2.3 was never “officially” released; however you can still claim it.

http://www.skewworks.com/retrieve

Enter your PayPal payment/transaction ID to download, or just use the 2.2 release link from your last email.