USBizi Noob

Hi All,

I’m a noob and have some noob questions. I’m using a FEZ Panda II and I’m going through the “.NET & Internet of things” tutorial and all was working fine until I got to the Fading LED. It won’t load. So, then I revisited the Firmware of the FEZ Panda II.

That’s where the questions begin.

The release notes on my computer:
• USBizi (FEZ Mini, FEZ Domino, FEZ Rhino, FEZ Panda) V 4.1.6.0
• EMX (FEZ Cobra) V 4.1.6.0, TinyBooter V 4.1.6.0
• ChipworkX V 4.1.6.0 TinyBooter V 4.1.5.1
• GHI NETMF Library V 4.1.6.0

Which one of those version numbers should I be using to compare with the results from my Deployment tool?

The result of my Deployment tool: Device Capabilities:
• SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion: 4.1.5.1

To me, I would think I would be looking at the USBizi version: 4.1.6.0 and comparing that with the Panda II device: 4.1.5.1 and think I need to upgrade.

So, then I get the USBizi Updater and no matter what I do, I can not get it to update the Firmware.

I’m following the instructions on the USBizi Updater application and in the Firmware Update USBizi Wiki.

No matter what, it says it Cannot connect to the device.

I realize this is the #1 mistake, but I’m having problems updating the firmware.

I can ping, erase my application, get the version, but I can’t update the firmware.

I have:

1. Press and hold the loader LDR button down
  2. Press and release the RESET button
  3. Release the loader button
  4. Press update to proceed.

and the response is:
Connecting to device…
Cannot connect to the device! Follow steps 1 to 3.

I have disconnected the device and held the LDR button down while connecting it and many other variations.

Any ideas?

What do you mean? Are you using the firmware updater tool? You can also try to update the firmware manually. Home - GHI Electronics

Do not worry, we got your back…and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s great that you twigged that the #1 problem was your problem and that you took steps towards helping yourself !!!

The link in the “#1 mistake” text shows you how to interpret the README - for a Panda II that you have, it’s a USBizi based (ie the top line) so you should have firmware 4.1.6.0 but you only have 4.1.5.1. (yep, you read it all right. Score 100% !!)

Just to clarify the steps, you need to have the board powered on and connected via USB cable to your PC. Then do step 1/2/3 and you should then be able to connect to the board with TeraTerm or the GHI loader. Tera Term is great (in my view) because you can see what is going on. As the Wiki page says, you may need to install additional drivers, that may be what is blocking you; check you don’t have any device bangs in Device Manager that show the driver is needed.

good luck and enjoy Fezzing around.

Thanks for your help.

I’m using Tera Term as I never did get the “USBizi Updater” to work. I’m following the video from the “Firmware Update USBizi” page and so far so good…up until it wants me to point to the firmware file to upload. :frowning:

Where would that file be? I looked all over the “GHI Electronics” folder for something similar to what was mentioned in the video…but alas, no luck.

I have “GHI Electronis\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK” and several sub directories after that, but nothing with firmware other than ChipworkX, and the like.

Again, thanks for your continued help!!!

On 64-bit win7, mine is…

C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\USBizi\Firmware\USBizi_CLR.GHI

Got it!!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!