USBH_Device is missing?

We are trying to connect to a FTDI USB<->serial converter and are starting with the example in the book. We ran into one huge problem, USBH_Device seems to be missing. according to the docs it is the base class for all USBHost devices but yet this fails:

static void DeviceConnectedEvent(USBH_Device device)

Indeed when looking through the object explorer and/or intellsense it does not show up. We have the referecne to using “GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBHost;” added but the example will not build. We have the latest SDK installed.

Any pointers?

It is in GHIElectronics.NETMF.System.dll

Thanks! But WTF? The docs show it is part of GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBHost.

It resides in GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBHost namespace, but physical location is GHIElectronics.NETMF.System.dll. I know,we also have GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBHost.dll and it makes more sense for the class to be there. Must be an overlook.

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/1/3056/

There are shared resources between USB Host and USB Client so we had no choice but to move them to something common in between, system.dll

Makes sense.

I must have had my head up my backside this morning. I was only looking at the namespace not the assembly information which is also clearly shown. ::slight_smile:

Thanks

Well it turns out that using a device with a FTDI USB<->Serial chip is Freaking Easy. I should have followed my own device from this morning and realized that when it was no longer easy that I was the one making it difficult. After we got the FTDI parts working now, we also tried out the XBee connection board that I just got in yesterday and were able to talk via XBee Freaking Easy as well.

So you have usb device connected to usb2serail board and usb2serial connected to Fez? What kind of usb device? Just curious.

We were testing two separate things. We will soon be hooking up some wireless transceivers that were designed at the university to our Dominos. They use an FTDI chip to provide an easy USB connection for a PC, etc. Before I’m able to get my hands on the transceiver I wanted to play around with a simple FTDI based USB<->Serial converter since from the FEZs view it looks the same.

For our initial communication tests we are just using some XBee modules. We are using a simple text based message passing scheme so the FEZ really does not care ‘where’ the data come from, it just knows it will come in over a serial port. This made it easy to just hook up an XBee to the FEZ and one to the PC to pass simple messages.

Cool. Good luck!