Updating the Hydra to 4.2

Hi

As is written in the Wiki, the software eith the current release of 4.2 (beta) does not upgrade the Hydra from 4.1 to 4.2, and a manual firmware flash is required (either usinf Sd or playing with the wires). As I habe no SD module and am SCARED TO DEATH of frying my Hydra, would it be possible to provide a 4.2 software-only update?

Thanks

I though the SD no longer needed for updating firmware.

You will not fry your hydra while updating the firmware. You can always recover.

Gus: At this site http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Firmware_Update_FEZ_Hydra it is stated[quote]To update the FEZ Hydra mainboard with all new TinyBooter and Firmware you will use the Hydra Updater located in this directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics[GHI Open Source SDK]\Firmware Update

Execute the file FEZHydraMainboardUpdater.exe and follow the on-screen directions.

• Please NOTE * The updater cannot be used to transition from NetMF 4.1 to NetMF 4.2 firmware at this time. See manual updating below. [/quote]
    Manual updating requires, according to the remainder of the page, either an SD module or playing with the wires…
    Any idea when the 4.2 updater for the Hydra will be done?
    Thanks

Please see note added here http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=7457

Thanks.
I see you took the updaters part down for… ehm… updating.
Will look in a couple of days or so again.

Gabriel

Hi
Can’t update the Hydra through the GUI:[quote] – Log – Connecting to device… Fail.
Please wait for trying to reconnect…
Cannot see Hydra over serial port. Try to restart computer and reset Hydra
or visit GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software for manual update.[/quote]
Ping doesn’t see the Hydra either…
Led in On, Windows does its sounds when inserting and removing the USB cable.
MFDEPLOY automatically displays FEZ Hydra_Gadgeteer in the USB channel, but then says when pinging[quote] Pinging… Error: No response from device[/quote]

Have I cooked the Hydra?

HELP!!

@ Gabriel3 -

To make sure Hydra Updater work, make sure that:

• If Hydra is running firmware, you can ping it by MFDeploy
  • If Hydra was erased, make sure you can see a new COM port in Device Manager.
  • If you are in tinymode, you have to use SD or wire to erase its flash first, then you will see a new COM port in Device Manager. We will improve this case so users don’t need SD / wire anymore, but now Hydra Updater only supports the first and second case.

What should you do if you can not Ping while Hydra firmware is running? There are some ways but I usually use 2 ways below:

• You can Disable “GHI.NET MicroFramework USB Debugging interface”, → disconnect Hydra → wait few seconds → re-connect Hydra → Enable “GHI.NET MicroFramework USB Debugging interface”.
  • Or: Power off Hydra → restart your PC, try to ping again. :))
    What should you do if you did click on Update button of Hydra Updater but it reports that failed and you also don’t see COM port on Device Manager?
  • There is a Help link, inside that Help link, there are 3 options, you can chose one of them.

With current version Hydra Updater that you are using, you can update from 4.1 up to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.2. If you are in 4.2 and want to go back 4.1, you should use update manually.

No need for multiple places with same question :slight_smile:

Have you tried manual update?