Updating loader in Windows 8

I’ve been away from this project for awhile and came back, updated all my SDKs and went to update my board. It came as 4.1.10.0 on the device for both the loader and firmware. I’ve tried over and over and over and over and over and over again to update the loader but device manager doesn’t show any COM ports(after changing the switches) for either the FEZ Config nor manual method of updating. Out of frustration, I finally just went ahead, put the switches back and updated the firmware(which went off without a hitch).

I finally looked in the release notes and noticed 2014 R4 had “The loader cannot be updated on Windows 8.”. Was this not corrected with R5?

Not having a non-Windows 8 machine kind of makes this impossible to use, doesn’t it? How am I supposed to proceed?

Sometimes, when the planets align right, it is possible to update it on Win8, too. I’ve done that once. But only once…

1 Like

Try using a hub or a different USB port on your machine. Some machines have USB2 and USB3, try both.

By the way, windows 10 review fixes this so we are hoping that this will be not a problem in the future…fingers crossed!

I’ve tried both my USB 2 and USB 3 ports. Nothing.

VS has indicated it deployed my project, but it just says “Waiting for debug commands…” on the screen.

If I do Device Info, I get this. Considering one of the assemblies is for my own module, I’m pretty sure it deployed. It just doesn’t seem to start.

DeviceInfo:
HAL build info: 4.3.1.0, Microsoft Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rig
OEM Product codes (vendor, model, SKU): 255, 0, 65535
Serial Numbers (module, system):
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Solution Build Info: 4.3.6.0, Copyright (C) GHI Electronics, LLC
AppDomains:
default, id=1
Assemblies:
mscorlib,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Native,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11,4.3.1.0
System.Security,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.IO,4.3.1.0
System.IO,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Touch,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Ink,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security,4.3.1.0
System.Xml,4.3.1.0
Microsoft.SPOT.Net,4.3.1.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16,4.3.7.4
dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO,1.0.0.0
GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider,4.3.6.0
GHI.Usb,4.3.6.0
Gadgeteer,2.43.1.0
GHI.Hardware,4.3.6.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.USBClientDP,4.3.6.0
GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem,1.0.0.0
Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi,1.0.0.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayX1,4.3.6.0
GTM.GHIElectronics.DisplayTE35,4.3.6.0
System,4.3.1.0
GTM.elens.Sensor,1.0.0.0

Then you are looking at the wrong thing. Did you set the board in loader mode? Explain how you did it please.

you said switches - can I assume a Spider ? https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/54/loader-tinybooter-g120-and-emx-families has the diagram of how to set the switches. You should persist and get into loader mode and update the loader - another variable you don’t want if you can avoid.

Please show the deployment log from VS - you will see what version issue you have (because “waiting for debug command” is pretty much always a firmware versus deployed code mismatch, and the deployment log is good at showing you what depends on what versions)

Sorry, got stuck filling in for 3 people in a different building yesterday…

FEZ Config 2.0.6.0
Advanced->Loader (TinyBooter) Update->FEZ Spider
Followed instructions of making sure only the USB Client and LCD are connected
v4.3 selected
Set switches in loader mode, hit update
Friendly name set for Gadgeteer, hit next, came up with warning “If you are having issues with this application, try connecting external power to the board during operation”, hit ‘ok’.
Got a “Make sure GHI Bootloader Interface driver is installed. you will see a new Serial COM port was added under your Device Manager as shown in the picture”. No such item is in device manager.

Unplugged, set switches back to default(all switches “off”), plugged in, shows up in Connection as EMX_Gadgeteer. Hit Check device for Update.

Loader (TinyBooter) version information:
4.3.4.0 on this computer.
4.2.10.0 on this device.

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<

Firmware (TinyCLR) version information:
4.3.6.0 on this computer.
4.3.6.0 on this device.

The Firmware (TinyCLR) is up to date. <<<
Please wait for the device to reboot… Done.

Exited FEZ Config, loaded up my project, did a deploy, here’s the output log

Looking for a device on transport ‘USB’
Starting device deployment…
Iteration 0
Opening port \?\usb#vid_1b9f&pid_0102#6&6d00a0b&0&2#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
Attaching debugger engine…
… debugger engine attached!
Querying device assemblies…
Found Assembly mscorlib 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Native 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.Security 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.IO 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.IO 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Touch 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Ink 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.Xml 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Net 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16 4.3.7.4
Found Assembly dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly GHI.Usb 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly Gadgeteer 2.43.1.0
Found Assembly GHI.Hardware 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.USBClientDP 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayX1 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.DisplayTE35 4.3.6.0
Found Assembly System 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly GTM.elens.Sensor 1.0.0.0
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\System.Xml.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\ghi_elect-gadgeteer-0fb53f217406\Modules\GHIElectronics\RelayISOx16\RelayISOx16_43\bin\Debug\le\gtm.ghielectronics.relayisox16.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\559_957_TinyFileSystem-v0.5.5\bin\Debug\le\dotnetwarrior.netmf.io.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Mainboards\FEZSpider\NETMF 4.3\le\ghielectronics.gadgeteer.fezspider.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.3 SDK\Libraries\le\ghi.usb.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Core\Assemblies.NET Micro Framework 4.3\le\gadgeteer.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.3 SDK\Libraries\le\ghi.hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\USBClientDP\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.usbclientdp.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\tinyfilesystem-c24deb3f9352ff345bed0679c9e23685c3d4cced\FlashFileSystemModuleDriver\FlashFileSystem_43\bin\Debug\le\gtm.dotnetwarrior.flashfilesystem.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\GadgeteerSpider_TrayTaxi\bin\Release\le\Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\RelayX1\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.relayx1.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\DisplayTE35\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.displayte35.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\System.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\e.lens, Inc\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Modules\Sensor\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.elens.sensor.pe to deployment bundle
Attempting deployment…
Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 189816 bytes
Assemblies successfully deployed to device.

Unplugged usb cable, plugged it back in, get “Waiting for debug commands…”

[quote]Loader (TinyBooter) version information:
4.3.4.0 on this computer.
4.2.10.0 on this device.

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<[/quote]
fix that first. You said you updated the loader, well it didn’t work, I don’t know why. It’s not worth proceeding past here until you have the latest/matching loader successfully applied

Also, make sure you go back in and set up the screen in Fez Config (I can’t guide you there, don’t own a screen or a Spider!)

That was the point of the topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

I picked up the NETFM SDK 20115 R1 Pre-Release 1 today and was finally able to fix the loader(with Windows 8.1 x64 fyi). Now at 4.3.7.7. Only thing a little odd is I had to go into LCD configuration after updating the firmware to load the TE35 settings.

Getting the same “Waiting for debug commands…” on the screen after I deploy my project. When trying to do debug, get “Error: a3000000”

Here’s my deploy log:

Looking for a device on transport ‘USB’
Starting device deployment…
Iteration 0
Opening port \?\usb#vid_1b9f&pid_0102#5&3af5883a&0&2#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
Attaching debugger engine…
… debugger engine attached!
Querying device assemblies…
Found Assembly mscorlib 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Native 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.Security 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.IO 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.IO 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Touch 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Ink 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly System.Xml 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Net 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16 4.3.7.4
Found Assembly dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly GHI.Usb 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly Gadgeteer 2.43.1.0
Found Assembly GHI.Hardware 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.USBClientDP 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayX1 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly GTM.GHIElectronics.DisplayTE35 4.3.7.7
Found Assembly System 4.3.1.0
Found Assembly GTM.elens.Sensor 1.0.0.0
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\System.Xml.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Net.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\ghi_elect-gadgeteer-0fb53f217406\Modules\GHIElectronics\RelayISOx16\RelayISOx16_43\bin\Debug\le\gtm.ghielectronics.relayisox16.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\559_957_TinyFileSystem-v0.5.5\bin\Debug\le\dotnetwarrior.netmf.io.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics.NET Gadgeteer SDK\Mainboards\FEZSpider\NETMF 4.3\le\ghielectronics.gadgeteer.fezspider.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\NETMF v4.3 SDK\Libraries\le\ghi.usb.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Core\Assemblies.NET Micro Framework 4.3\le\gadgeteer.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\NETMF v4.3 SDK\Libraries\le\ghi.hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics.NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\USBClientDP\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.usbclientdp.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\Gadgeteer\tinyfilesystem-c24deb3f9352ff345bed0679c9e23685c3d4cced\FlashFileSystemModuleDriver\FlashFileSystem_43\bin\Debug\le\gtm.dotnetwarrior.flashfilesystem.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Development\eStack\GadgeteerSpider_TrayTaxi\bin\Release\le\Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics.NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\RelayX1\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.relayx1.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics.NET Gadgeteer SDK\Modules\DisplayTE35\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.ghielectronics.displayte35.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\System.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\e.lens, Inc\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Modules\Sensor\NETMF 4.3\le\gtm.elens.sensor.pe to deployment bundle
Attempting deployment…
Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
All assemblies on the device are up to date. No assembly deployment was necessary.
Assemblies successfully deployed to device.

Here’s what happens when I try and do debug with a breakpoint on

Program.Mainboard = new GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider();

Found debugger!

Create TS.

Loading start at a0e00000, end a0e2f494

Assembly: mscorlib (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Security.PKCS11 (4.3
.1.0) Assembly: System.Security (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (4.3.1.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore (4.3.1.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.3.1.0) Assembly: System.IO (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb (4.3.1.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Touch (4.3.1.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Ink (4.3.1.0) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (4.3.1.0)
Loading Deployment Assemblies.

Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security (4.3.1.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: System.Xml (4.3.1.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Net (4.3.1.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16 (4.3.7.4) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZSpider (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GHI.Usb (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: Gadgeteer (2.43.1.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GHI.Hardware (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.USBClientDP (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.RelayX1 (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.GHIElectronics.DisplayTE35 (4.3.7.7) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: System (4.3.1.0) Attaching deployed file.

Assembly: GTM.elens.Sensor (1.0.0.0) Resolving.

Link failure: some assembly references cannot be resolved!!

Assembly: dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘mscorlib’ (4.2.0.0)

Assembly: dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware’ (4.2.0.0)

Assembly: dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘System.IO’ (4.2.0.0)

Assembly: dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘Microsoft.SPOT.Native’ (4.2.0.0)

Assembly: GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘dotnetwarrior.NetMF.IO’ (1.0.0.0)

Assembly: Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘GTM.dotnetwarrior.FlashFileSystem’ (1.0.0.0)

Assembly: Gadgeteer_TrayTaxi (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘GTM.elens.Sensor’ (1.0.0.0)

Assembly: GTM.elens.Sensor (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘Gadgeteer’ (2.43.0.0)

Assembly: GTM.elens.Sensor (1.0.0.0) needs assembly ‘mscorlib’ (4.3.0.0)

Error: a3000000

The program ‘[3] Micro Framework application: Managed’ has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Waiting for debug commands…

[code=cs][/code

@ NXTwoThou - the firmware on the device does not match the SDK you are using. Check the version in the vs project, and makes sure it is the same as the device firmware.

FEZ Config shows NETMF Version v4.3, project says .NET Micro Framework 4.3. What am I missing?

It looks like you are using an old version of FlashFileSystem. I don’t have the link at the moment but Duke Nukem did post a version for 4.3.

Found it
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=18158

The output you posted is very specific as to what is wrong. It says x is looking for y. You will need to get the source for the problem modules and recompile

I am having this same issue with the loader using Windows 8.1. I deleted all .Net MF/Gadgeteer software from my laptop and reinstalled from scratch (GHI Electronics NETMF SDK 2015 R1 Pre-Release 2). I have been able to update the TinyCLR, but the loader doesn’t update when i put FEZ Spider pins into loader mode.

The device man`ager doesn’t like the COM port for the GHI Bootloader Interface (see attached image), and I have tried a USB hub as well as the single USB 3 port on my laptop.

@ NXTwoThou - Can you give me an idea of how you got the loader to update, so I don’t have to wait for Windows 10 on 29th July?

Loader (TinyBooter) version information:
4.3.7.7 on this computer.
4.2.11.0 on this device.

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<

Firmware (TinyCLR) version information:
4.3.7.8 on this computer.
4.3.7.8 on this device.

The Firmware (TinyCLR) is up to date. <<<
Please wait for the device to reboot… Done.

Thanks!

@ pandrewster - Unfortunately the loader on the EMX, including the FEZ Spider, cannot be updated on Windows 8.

I would like to add that Windows 10 seem to work well like all older versions of Windows, except 8!

@ Gus - Ok. Might download Windows 10 Preview from my MSDN account then as I can’t wait until end of July for the official release!

Thanks.