Unconventional baud rates in USBizi and Fez

That is true. I just somehow always seem to hit the 1% nobody else need to worry about in my projects :slight_smile:

This was a very strange set of circumstances. To summarise for those interested, hereā€™s why every ā€œstandardā€ avenue turned into a dead end. Iā€™m pretty sure this isnā€™t the case with most other modules, but an interesting learning experience none the less. Iā€™m not going to detail again how I got to these conclusions - just take this as simple lessons learntā€¦

1. You canā€™t read asynchronous data with the USART module if the data stream isnā€™t properly framed with a start bit and a stop bit. NETMF allows for a Zero stop bits setting, but the LPC2388 doesnā€™t support it.

2. You canā€™t use interrupts to capture signals changing faster than about 100uS (10kHz). This is just an estimate based on my experiments.

3. You canā€™t ā€œbit bangā€ capture a signal faster than about 10kHz either. In other words it doesnā€™t help sitting in a tight loop recording bit transitions. A read/store cycle takes longer than 50uS - more like 150-200uS depending on what youā€™re doing. Interrupts actually worked better than brute force.

4. You canā€™t use the built-in NETMF SPI class for bit rates below a couple of hundred kHz because it hardcodes the prescaler value and overwrites the register every time Write() executes. I had to use registers to get to a ā€œlowā€ bit rate of 65uS and pretty much write my own SPI class from scratch. The Register class is my new best friend - thanks GHI!

5. The SSP module is a wonderful thing. It can be used for things unrelated to SPI and is very flexible. Iā€™m glad I learnt this one. Read the section in the LPC23xx user manual.

6. However, you canā€™t wait for a low to high transition on the MISO line and then start clocking in data under about 80 - 100uS. NETMF is too slow with a ā€œwhile(!SCIO.Read)ā€ and thereā€™s nothing in the hardware to do it. Unfortunately this is how the module signals to the processor that thereā€™s new data and you need to respond fast. This is not standard SPI.

7. Finally, you canā€™t get SSP to output a constant, uninterrupted clock stream (and capture data at the same time). Not even with DMA. It creates a small delay between every 16 bits. I couldnā€™t find a workaround to this.

I cannot think of a reason TI chose to implement this very non-standard and difficult to use protocol, but itā€™s been like that since the 90ā€™s. The bottom line is that sometimes you just need a different tool for the job. Where most jobs are easily done with C# and NETMF, this is one example of something best done with C and inline assembler on a dedicated processor.

Iā€™ll let you all know how it goes with Plan B. Thanks for all the help and support so far.