UART same as serial?

Are UART and serial the same thing? If they are not the same, what is the difference? I can’t find it in this article, please help me
Thanks in advance.

Serial simply refers to the use of a single pin to send bits of data, which can be anything from 5 to 32 or higher.

UART, SPI, I2C etc are all serial interfaces. In some cases, the same pin is used to receive data but for UART, 2 pins are used for TX and RX. I2C for example, uses the same PIN for TX and RX but has a second pin for a clock, as does SPI which uses 2 pins for TX and RX.

UART is the hardware method used to send the serial data. It defines things such as start bits, data bits and stop bits and the timing for each. There is no separate clock as there is with SPI and I2C, but the data position being based on fixed timing between bits.

In many cases, the UART is often referred to as RS232 or RS485 but technically these are just the reference to the voltage levels used for the transmission and reception.

I am sure someone else will chip in with some additional information but I hope this sort of explains it a little more? Ask away if you still have more questions.

1 Like