Turning FEZ Panda into a ARM devboard

Good news, after testing 5 tools to program ARM processors, I decided to stick with the Keil solution, which is free for programs up to 32K of Flash. Not bad. And its very easy to setup and use and supports the LPC2387 processor which is the same on the FEZ Panda; note that not all compilers/ide supports this processor.

Thanks to the help of JDAL I was able to understand several things in just a few hours. Its still a PITA compared to an Arduino, but still, very fast after you understand a few things up.

And I love the fact the LPC has I2S which is great for Audio!

If anyone wants, I could post some codes and more links and info, just ask. :wink:

Best Regards, WilliamK

Sure, share all you can!

Ah, ok. :wink:

First, thank you JDAL again for all those tips, just want to credit the right person. :wink:

Let me write a step by step guide for a simple Blinky code, will post it after Lunch. :-p

Wk

BTW: anyone knows the max transfer rate of a SD card using the SD/MMC port of the LPC2387? In both continuous and random-access reads.

Thanks.

I didn’t know there is a free version of MDK!

Yup, but limited to 32K and some other small limitations that doesn’t apply to my project idea.

Just couldn’t figure out the price for the full versions, if anyone knows, please, let me know, as I still haven’t heard from them…

Wk

I just posted on the first page an updated tutorial on how to get a Blinky project running, including Serial Input and Output.

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/1/4219/#/1/

Thanks again for all the help!

Now my next step is to connect a SD card and also a Philips TDA1543A Stereo DAC chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-TDA1543-TDA1543A-Dual-16-bit-DAC-Chip-A200-NEW-/260704032421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb32bd6a5

I also need to include a better Interrupt Serial Input, but for now I don’t need it, so I will handle that later on.

Best Regards, WilliamK

Depends on speed class rating of a card.

And I just postead my Blinky.hex file for direct tests. Check the first post on the first page for more info.

Wk

Thanks, now, help me out with the math, as this can’t be right: 20 MB/s I would get more than 100 streams at 16 bits, stereo, 44100khz?! Of course, I don’t need that much and the LPC wouldn’t cope with that anyway…

20 Million Bytes per Second, right?
20 * 8 * 1024 * 1024 = 167772160 bits per second. Now divide per 16 bits, per 2 (stereo) and per 44100 (sample-rate) = 118 streams. Of course, in Random access mode I bet this will drop a lot. But since I will buffer from the SD Card, I will read 32 bytes per random access, that should speed things up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TG-4GB-4G-SD-SDHC-Class-10-Memory-Card-Extreme-Fast-/250610743543?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item3a599078f7

Wk

A wiki page dedicated for this will make this much better so it is not lost in future :slight_smile:

I think it’s 20Mbits/sec

Gus, how I do that?

Eri, in the Wikepedia it says its 20 Mega Bytes, as in 20 * 8 Mega Bits.

Wk

There is a section at the bottom of the main page on how to modify wiki. Start from there.

Here you go

Please see other pages on how to add images/videos and source code coloring.

Gus, thank you so much, I’m editing it there, let me know if I did it correctly.

The project I’m doing will be great with the FEZ Panda II SD Card. :slight_smile:

Wk

I’m a bit lost on the specifications of the SD/MMC card support of the LCP3287 chip. In the datasheet it states that it supports only V0.96 for the SD card and V2.11 for the MMC, unless I’m reading wrong. If that’s correct, I guess I can’t use most of those new SD cards, as they are V1.xx, is that correct?

If anyone could give me some tips on this, I would be very thankful. :slight_smile:

Wk

Cards should be backward compatible or some x million device will be useless :slight_smile:

Makes total sense. :wink:

Still, I wonder if I could use those 4 Gig or 8 Gig cards.

Wk

GHI supports any size :wink: on same chip you are using.